Old and Rare Breeds

Yes, the cockers refer to both the male and female of the variety as Doms. As a matter of fact, as time has produced white sports and the like from the Doms they are all still technically called Doms regardless of what they look like anymore if they came from a Dom heritage.

Of course, as you have guessed, they called them Doms because they were 'dominque' patterned Games.

Posted these over on the heritage thread but didn't get much of a response as they seem to be in some sort of disagreement over there. Just thought I would come over here and post some pictures of my breeding group of salmon faverolles and ask for some opinions/ discuss a bit.

Hop everyone's birds in the NE are doing ok in this soupy weather.

Here are my faverolles hens and a rooster I am getting this week from a fellow breeder.

no expert, but nice looking birds. better color than most I see. What's egg production like? Are they very broody?
There egg production is good I say I average between 180 and 220 eggs a year per hen. They lay well during the winter as well. Not vary broody at all. Have had one hen hatch chicks and raise them successful and none of the others have ever been broody.

There egg production is good I say I average between 180 and 220 eggs a year per hen. They lay well during the winter as well. Not vary broody at all. Have had one hen hatch chicks and raise them successful and none of the others have ever been broody.
Ya know, you can't beat that with a stick, as they say !
The Chanteclers (Albertans) I have have laid all year round, even in +16 degree DARK days..........for that, the breed gets a big plus !
Yours get a big plus and are very nice looking as well.
You need Fowlman to critique.

Gorgeous birds Chickielady! Alaskan if you are looking for minimal comb and historical lineage you might check out Bredas. They actually have NO comb. They were widespread in America before the production breeds came but were known by a different names. After that they went extinct here although I read one source that sites them as being part of what the Langshan is based on. Of course they still have wattles to contend with.

The Brabranter is also a rare breed and while has slightly more comb than the Breda has negligible wattles covered by a beard. It has a Mohawk crest that helps protect the little forked comb it has.

Now if you are liking the Ameraucana but want something older see Grannychick55 for Collanas and Sweet Potato Quetcha. Collanas have minimal beard more like a mans 4 day growth so that they give the general impression of cleanfaced. They have no tail and obviously were one of the ancestor of the Auracana. They have no tufts to mess with. The Sweet Potato Quetcha looks very similar to the Ameraucana but being landrace like the Collanas come in many, many more colors.
Collana hen Sweet Potato hen

These are critical landraces because so many production birds have been introduced to South America that it is very difficult to find birds that have not been affected by them. Read Resolution's threads on the origins of the South American chickens and Yashar's threads. Grannychick55 got her stock from Yashar. Resolution should write a history of chicken migration and publish it. He is a good writer and it is a fascinating read. I would love to read what he would write about the rest of the ancient chicken world.

The Brabanters, though I did consider them.... are close to impossible to find. Also, the health of the stock in the US is questionable.

The Breda has that giant wattle, so no interest.

I am having second thoughts about my spring chick order
barnie.gif

maybe I should go for only Ameraucana type breeds, it is just that I really liked the historical aspect of the breeds I had chosen.

I was looking again at the frostbite on the comb points of my d'Uccles, and then looking at pictures of the the three breeds I have chosen, Dominique, Hamburg, and RC Leghorn, and WOW! WATTLES!

My Marans rooster isn't that bad, so maybe I just shouldn't worry about it. He has frostbite just along the thinnest edge of his very large wattles, and of course on all of his comb points .
roll.png

Anyway, my money and order have been mailed off months ago to Duane, I suppose I could change my order to only Ameraucanas....... dunno.

I think I just like to worry and second guess myself.
hu.gif

The Brabanters, though I did consider them.... are close to impossible to find. Also, the health of the stock in the US is questionable.

The Breda has that giant wattle, so no interest.

I am having second thoughts about my spring chick order
barnie.gif

maybe I should go for only Ameraucana type breeds, it is just that I really liked the historical aspect of the breeds I had chosen.

I was looking again at the frostbite on the comb points of my d'Uccles, and then looking at pictures of the the three breeds I have chosen, Dominique, Hamburg, and RC Leghorn, and WOW! WATTLES!

My Marans rooster isn't that bad, so maybe I just shouldn't worry about it. He has frostbite just along the thinnest edge of his very large wattles, and of course on all of his comb points .
roll.png

Anyway, my money and order have been mailed off months ago to Duane, I suppose I could change my order to only Ameraucanas....... dunno.

I think I just like to worry and second guess myself.
hu.gif

I think you would enjoy the Ameraucana. They are personable birds. You might also concider the Salmon Favorelle. It has small combs an a bearded face and feathered legs. It lays in winter and makes a good table bird as well.

I think you would enjoy the Ameraucana. They are personable birds. You might also concider the Salmon Favorelle. It has small combs an a bearded face and feathered legs. It lays in winter and makes a good table bird as well.

I do really like the Salmon Faverolles, but all of their comb points will freeze off.

Back
Top Bottom