Old and Rare Breeds

Please, experienced breeders, I need some input...

It is my understanding that light brown leghorns and dark brown leghorns were originally the same color, but that the pullet line and the cockerel line for brown leghorns were then simply separated out.

If I breed dark brown and light brown together, will it " muddy" everything up and be difficult to recover from? After three generations of selecting will I be able to get back to something that looks like a very good SOP bird? After mixing the two together, would it be easier to get to a good light, or a good dark brown?

Where am I supposed to find this information?!?!

Quote:
The Smithfield show had more birds in the show and in the sale area then the Unifour show did, but not too much more. But that was my first time going to the Unifour show and I have only been to the Smithfield show twice. I have heard that the Winston Salem show is bigger, but I have never been there. Do you know how the Winston Salem show is Saladin?

It's been a long time since I was there. You have to remember that along with the NC law change in the last year that you are also dealing with the Unifour having moved to Morganton for 3 years and then back to Salisbury this year. That had something to do with it to I'm sure.

Just a reminder that the Sandlapper Show at Barnwell is in a few weeks. I will have been back to the doctor since then to get a cast change. I certainly hope to be there.

If you contact the show secretary of the Sandlapper Show in a week or so, he should be able to tell you if any are entered there.

I am hoping someone on this thread can suggest ways I can improve my hatch rate.

I am not worried about fertility (2:85 failed to develop, and those 2 eggs were outside overnight.)

After tinkering with the temp/ventilation/humidity and adding a daily cool-down period, I got my hatch rate from 0 to 62.5%. I have begun storing eggs in a wine fridge at 55 degrees prior to incubation, but those haven't had time to hatch yet. On another Internet discussion forum, I read that ~60% was the best hatch rate any Dorking owner was getting.

People in my geographic area, using the same brand of feed, are getting excellent hatches.

I plan to save more birds this year to do more test pairings to see if I can identify individual birds or pairs with more vigorous embryos/better hatchability.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I appreciate your help.
Best wishes,
Angela

Back
Top Bottom