Old and Rare Breeds

I believe I have some baby pics as well.

Snowball above. Looks like the kids deleted all the rest when we started putting videos on the computer. But here is the video of Snowball and even a few of the girls are in it.

0.jpg

I actually have show Delawares. However I can never find anyone around our area that wants to buy the eggs.

Snowball above. Looks like the kids deleted all the rest when we started putting videos on the computer. But here is the video of Snowball and even a few of the girls are in it.
I can tell that you are very fond of them.

Do you have the Standard of Perfection from the APA? Do you use that as a guide for breeding your Delawares?

If you do, you might find more people wanting to buy Delawares from you. Like 4H kids and people who want to show.

Yes we go by APA standards. However I also have my own standards and any rooster that has a tendency to be aggressive is culled. Mine are based on Standards that the APA has as well as my own standards. I don't care how pretty one is if it doesn't have the right temperament and can be handled daily then it is gone. My daughter has shown ours before at the fair and won blue ribbons. We are waiting on next year when we can breed ours and get babies, and get another good rooster. Trouble is great however his comb is missing in spots where his brother tore him up. So this year he wont be shown. So now we have to breed them, and get another good rooster to use that can be shown. I have 5 new pullets coming from cackle, i will be keeping an eye out for the qualities in each one if any are not good stock they will go in with our eating egg stock.

I'm looking for some grades, culls will do or a nice bantam asil or shamo hen will do as I know many breeders that will let a stag play tag for a day or two but they won't part with hens... I'm just wanting some project birds its been years since I've kept game or anything like game on my yard so beggers can't be choosers all I have now game wise is a couple OEG hens and a jap hen and modern game but they don't count they are for show

I have not read all 217 pages, but wanted to post so that I may come back and take a look.

I have Silver Campines and have only just started raising and working toward standard. It has taken me over two years to just barely get started due to the rarity of this breed/variety. I am currently choosing the breeders that I will be using in the spring and have culled down from about thirty to about eight in the past three months.

I'm looking forward to hearing and sharing stories of this adventure of working with rare breeds.

Wisher -- I'd love to see some pictures of your campines. We have Dorkings, but I was fortunate to obtain my breeders from stock that had been much improved. Of course we started with McMurray and then Sandhill derived stock before realizing there had to be something better. lol

Back
Top Bottom