Old and Rare Breeds

Is my rooster a rare mix?

Last edited:
I started with hatchery stock, quite by accident. It was those birds that I fell in love with. They were far from these birds, in quality. That was over four years ago. These are still far from where they need to be, and where I hope to take them. Those original hatchery Campines had green legs (supposed to be leaden blue) bay colored eyes (supposed to be dark brown to black) as well as many other issues. Still, they were better layers than the ones I have now. My breeder stock came from Duane Urch and Cathy Gleason. As far as I could determine, these two, one woman in California, and a few that have only hatchery birds were my only options for obtaining breeders, and believe me, I searched long and hard. It would not surprise me if my flock is now the largest in the US of Silver Campines. The Golden Campines are more popular, but still rare.

I have some of my first 'chicks' that are at the POL now and I hope they will be better layers. I was telling DH yesterday that production is one of the things I hope to improve in my line and that during the early 1900's when they enjoyed much popularity, they were known as "The Everyday Layer." I'm not sure he heard me as his eyes immediately glaze over when I start talking about the chickens.

ETA: I quizzed DH and he was listening! He remembered the nickname with no hints from me! Sorry, Honey!

Thank you for the compliment, and I agree they are "pretty little things!" I want to get them up to (and maybe a little beyond) standard size but that is only 6.5lbs for the cocks and 5lbs for the hens. I have noticed that some of the birds I have raised this year are solid and heavy in the hand while others are lightweight and fragile feeling. I am, of course, using the more solid birds and learning more and more every day. One of the main things that I enjoy about them is their personalities. Most people call them flighty, but I just find them busy. They remind me of bumble bees. They are always busy and darting here and there. They are not interested in being still, caught, held, or cuddled, but will fly up on me if I have treats. I am having so much fun with these birds.....

Last edited:
They sound absolutely perfect for my mostly free range environment. I noticed the smaller size and thought I had remembered the 5-6 lb. standard.

While the English Orps I have are incredibly beautiful, I don't think egg laying was one of the things they have been bred for. My Dorkings are good layers, but not great. They are more "meat with eggs". I'd like an everyday layer or 5 in the flock.
wink.png

Are the cocks aggressive?

Are the cocks aggressive?

lau.gif
Only to each other!

I have had them in with the other, larger cocks and they seem to pay no attention to the larger boys as long as the bigger ones are not chasing them. The SC cocks have no trouble avoiding conflict with the larger and slower roosters, but still manage to mate more than a few hens when the big one is not paying attention! They will, often, spar with each other and seem to enjoy it. The battles between two SC cockerels usually consists of flaring hackles, necks run out level with the ground, and long staring contests broken by both birds suddenly exploding straight up to a height of about six feet and back down in the same spot with no physical contact.

I have never had a SC rooster be aggressive toward any human but they will sometimes bite (not peck, but bite down and twist) if grabbed, especially by someone they don't know. I have had a couple of hens do this as well. They are plucky little stinkers, and I am glad they do not hesitate to defend themselves. I try to handle mine on a regular basis and often stroke them on the roost and lift them with my hand underneath to get them used to how a judge would pick them up. They have gotten used to me doing so, and tolerate it pretty well, but would no doubt prefer to stand on my hand, or not be touched at all.

I suspect they will not win any prizes for best behaved in the judge's hand.

I am looking for Icelandic and/or Swedish Flower Hens to add to my flock this spring. It seems that they are a bit rare in the US. Does anyone know of a breeder who can sex these breeds for day after hatch? I have been doing a lot of research on both breeds and cannot seem to find anyone who offers sexed chicks. I would rather not have a rooster as I have had a slightly negative experience with a Barred rock rooster and I am not looking to breed. Although, I did love his crow! Also, can anyone comment on either of these breeds and egg production? I have been reading some mixed reviews.

Hey guys im so happy i found this page im from n.c and started keeping chickens about 6 mnths ago i have a friend who had 2 major heart attacks in the past year and lucky me i did alot of work on my days off he is nolonger able to do and as appreciation he gave or rather paid me with 5 pure bred black shamos he worked on for 8 years because i was the only person he said he trusted to continue the quality he worked so hard for im proud as a brginner to have started so lucky anyway what id like to say is im highly interested in meeting someone reputable to incorperate new blood when its time for me to breed i have 2 broody hens sitting on about15 eggs at the moment i been amazed after taking my rooster yo a show last mnth with no clue about what to do. To prep , i didnt even bathe him haha just straight out the pen and didnt win a ribbon but was given best in breed of the 7 shamos that were there i found very established guys who raised shamos didnt like that fact at all and said very negative comments due to the fact my birds were given to a greenhorn when they had tried to aquire some of my friends bloodline on several occasions im not in it for money i love my birds and want to honor my friends years of hard work so its kinda gonna be tough to meet the right people i guess hopefully this site can help me in my quest i also have a very nice pair of non mixed sai pan i love dearly but have been bred very tight due to scarecity of the breed i have a bitty saipan thats their baby rooster but as i said i have no desire to breed back without new blood they are wheaton. I didnt realize when i got them they were so rare, if anyone has any info on a good standup honest person i could deal with id bee extremely appreciative. Also as my 3rd breed id love to find someone with pure good quality aseel or possibly ganoi. I. Could talk with ,again honest folks only and purebed only i may be new to this but what i lavk in experiance i make up for in research and integrity and i have several personal sourses that are there anytime when i have questions please respond if u have some info or just wanna talk birds im really passionate about my new family thanks a milliom for making this site available

Back
Top Bottom