Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

fisherlady~ Thank you! I think she is very pretty too:)

Deb - That look is either zen or touch my eggs and get pecked.....

June, the broody hen.....
Pretty broody, looking forward to hearing about and seeing the new fuzzy butts..
pop.gif

I'm guessing she means Pure Bred? Maybe?

Whats a PB?

how about Delaware, Australorp, White leghorn
and later if you cross your leghorn with your Araucanas you can make "Super Blue egg layers" because the blue is dominant.
Oh sorry guys, PB is Pure Bred (I like abbreviations.lol.)
Could you give me some info on Delawares and I didn't know Australorps where top layers.
I was hoping to get a Araucana rooster so that I could make lots of colour laying hens in the future.

For cluckcluckluke, since you have several breeds around you I would probably opt for local eggs. If you are not sure what to hatch why not try a couple of each? I personally think white leghorns are wonderful but I stay away from white birds because I free range and they are too easy to spot from the sky, but Minorcas would be very cool, and they are a breed that would benefit from more folks raising them. I want to add some to my flock later this year or next year. Wyandottes are beautiful, Ameraucanas lay pretty eggs. I try to stay local as much as possible, and you may benefit from having a local resource for whatever breed(s) you choose.
Yeah I think I will go for a mix of WLH's and Minorca's, there is a lady close to me who breeds both so maybe she's my best option.

I have just had two hens go broody. The first is a frizzle, I just stopped collecting her eggs to see if it would work, within a week she was broody so I put 7 eggs under her. We ended up with 5 chickens ( buff Sussex, Sussex and australorp) which she has raised. They are 11 weeks old and she still is broody with them which is funny as they are all bigger than her. They all still snuggle up to her in the nest. My Silky went broody after 9 days, I put 6 eggs under her and have 4 babies, they are almost 3 weeks old. (All silkies). Frizzle and Silky do have a few run ins here and there, the frizzle being dominant, but for the most part they all get along. The older chicks (11wks) don't hassle or bother about the silky babies. I am however going to break my Frizzles broodiness and segregate her into a hutch with food and water this weekend. I just did my first incubation of chicks and have 18 babies also close to 3 weeks old. I have to say as exciting as it was, I prefer my broody hens. It's just beautiful to watch a mum chook and her babies trailing after her.

Oh gosh, this weather is making me nervous. I have Cochin babies out in the coop with a heat lamp and their pen is wrapped in a tarp. Then I have Olive (broody silkie) that decided to go broody in the two days it was warm with NO warning. So I gave her eggs. She's on day 8 with 9 bantam Cochin eggs. Now, guess what, it's SNOWING. She keeps those eggs warm but I can't help but worry. About the chicks and her. :/

Back
Top Bottom