Old Members Missing - Lots of New Members - Please USE SEARCH FEATURE

well emergency area is much different. Having 5 posts of "how long can my eggs be stored" can get pretty annoying. I dont want to flame any members because we all make mistakes or we just forget the search feature but it is there.

rooster red,

if the incubator review was a sticky then it would help newbie members pic out the one for them. Thats why I started it
smile.png

O.K. let me get this straight. When we were all newbies it was O.K. to ask simple questions that could be found in any poultry book. BUT now that we are seasoned veterans we don't want to be bothered with stupid, simple, repeat questions - "Hey newbie - don't waste our time - look it up, do a search, read a book.....but by the way welcome to BYC".

no not like that. I mean I sometimes see the same post on one page. Of course I would help but it would be better to put a (please use the search feature) sticky onto a faq page which would help a bit.

Quote:
I'm with you on this Tuff. I don't mind either nor do I want newbies to be afraid
to post. I've answered, and asked, the same questions many times.

The trouble here is the newbie would be better served by gathering more
info before asking a question. They will get a better answer that way. It also
helps people like you and me give them good answers.

In addition, some answers are not 2 lines long. Typing a few hundred words
takes time.

Sometimes the best thing for us older members to do a search and then post
the thread as a link in the newbies post.

My thread here is about helping people help others, and limiting some frustration too.

Quote:
Is that how you read my post???? Maybe you should read it again... That is not
what I am saying at all. This is a discussion and that is how I opened it.

"BUT now that we are seasoned veterans we don't want to be bothered with stupid, simple, repeat questions - "Hey newbie - don't waste our time - look it up, do a search, read a book.....but by the way welcome to BYC"
PLEASE NO ONE THINK THIS IS WHAT I MEAN!!! THANKS RUTH FOR ILLUSTRATING PEOPLE MAY FEEL THIS WAY!!!

Last edited:
Thats what I do PC.....I know they are scared heck I was when I first had tons of questions that needed answered....Heck I've raised or had chickens around me all my life and I still need answers to things that pop up that I've never dealt with.....

It's always posted by me at times to read up and have lots of chicken books handy!!..But having a person on the other side of a computer to answer something quickly is alot different than reading a book at times...You have someone that is willing to try to help or find an answer for you on the spur of the moment...

Some days I have lots time to answer so I do........

Edited to add: See PC I read your posting the same way Ruth did...

Last edited:
No I dont think that is what was meant at all.

As a newbie, I used SEARCH first, then if I couldnt find the answers, I would post.

Im sure we have all seen the question, "how do I incubate chicken egs, tell me what I need to know?"...Well, were to you start with something like that. There is SO much to say that the OP may get less post out the of the sheer generality of the questions and the amount we would each have to write to share our experiences.

I think PC is saying, for general questions like that, check things out first--then post with specific questions. We will happily help.

I teach chemistry to "adults"--they often come up and say, I need help. Well, what do you need help with? ALL OF IT FROM THE BEGINNING. Well, were do you start there. I say, read, and come back to me with specific questions on what you dont understand after reading and Ill help. Then I can spend my time helping you with the things that are specific on what you are having trouble learning on your own.

Everyone-including myself- should try to do their own homework on the topic that interests them first, then come for help if tehy cant or dont understand the answer. Dont ask me to do your homework.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom