On the term "show quality"

That is WONDERFUL! Excellent Idea. I know many people..not giving names :-D That say that thier birds are show quality. And they have only won one ribbon out of like 100 of thier birds. spfff. One doesn't count with a whole flock.

You can't imply something that isn't true.

Like for me. I say my birds are nice and you might hatch something nice. But I will not gauranty what you will hatch except that you will be pleased.

My birds do come from good lines But I sure heck won't say show quality.
You can't say something like that unless you have good proof.

It bothers me when I see show Quality writen on an online auctions or another forum when it isn't true.
Just remember before you purchase something ask questions, proof and pictures.

That way you are not tricked.

How can you find a breeder or a hatchery that breeds from excellent lines ? I am a breeder at heart , but chickens are a new species for me , and I'd like to start w/ the best I can find . I don't expect anyone to guarantee their stock , I just don't want to make a mistake right at the beginning and order from a hatchery that just supplies pets or commercial stock . Any suggestions ?

This is a good thread and we have seen alot of "show" birds for sale. We have a flock for sale right now, Buff Cochins and the parent stock did win shows. Are ours SQ? I don't know as we don't show our birds, we breed for quality and take pride in our birds.
I'm thinking more and more it's the quality of the seller that really matters. We had a problem this year buying "SQ" Buff Orpingtons from local seller, come to pass they were mixed birds! We bought them thru a local NC yahoo group member and when we made a comment on the group we were told "well you can tell the difference" and the group owner and moderators didn't see a problem with that! Needless to say we left that group in a hurry. They thought we were picking on the seller, plus they were selling the same eggs on ebay for top dollar. Also, we have seen people selling birds that didn't lay or had low fertility on one group and claiming they were great on another forum when they had them for sale there. Maybe I'm "old fashioned" but I stand by my word and my birds.

Steve in NC

hmm.. even though i agree very much, but then again i DISAGREE, for the reason being, is that i would MUCH rather buy eggs from a show quality pair, and stay away from pet quality eggs, In business and advertisement you use phrases like that to lift up sales, yes im sure a lot of you may disagree with me, but... thats just my opinion... works the same with pups too, if you buy a pup from a show quality breeds expect to pay more, thats just how it works in our society, yes you do not know for sure what is going to pop out of that egg but the thought of it coming out of a show quality stock sales a lot better, And it is perfectly legal to sale "show Quality" eggs

Ok I have issues with this post. I agree that many people falsly advertise birds as 'show quality' and that is just wrong.
However, people who have show birds do NOT hatch out 'mostly birds with DQs'. In fact, the majority of chicks hatched out from show winning parents will be 'show quality'. They just wont all be show winners. If I bought chicks from Hattrick, Judy Gannt, or Alan Sanford, for example, I would expect mostly show quality birds.
If you want birds for showing, go to your prefered breed's club webpage, then browse their breeder list. Buy your show quality birds from them!

Quote:
I actually disagree with this statment allot of great breeders hatch out 100's or chicks and raise them before the decied which to keep and breed and which to show and which to cull or sell!

Quote:
I actually disagree with this statment allot of great breeders hatch out 100's or chicks and raise them before the decied which to keep and breed and which to show and which to cull or sell!

Agreed. if you want the real show quality stock. you have to make REALLY good friends with the breeder, other wise the birds they sell you will just be their "culls". Meaning, Birds that were worse (but still can be good). than the ones they selected for Breeding/showing. of course you do run across those random occasions with a good show qaulity bird being offered for room

Hmm maybe you misunderstood what I said.

I totally agree that advertising poor quality birds as SQ is a bad thing. However, you are being over-zelous. The term show quality does not mean "show winner". It simply means your bird will be on par with the other birds at an APA or ABA sanctioned show. One CAN assume that they will get SQ stock from a long line of SQ stock. That is why people pay huge sums of money for pedigree puppies. Ok so there is a runt, and maybe the breeder keeps the best two. That doesnt mean there is something wrong with the rest of them.

My understanding of show quality was that the breeding stock has been shown and has won at shows. It certainly doesn't guarantee that the offspring is going to win at shows, it just means that you may end up with a show winner. I think the misunderstanding is mostly with the buyers. It's like betting or gambling, some people have unrealistic expectations.
I never put any importance on those words, myself. I think if your breeding stock has won at shows, you should say that they have won at shows.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom