One chicken left how to add the babies

Lizconti99

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
Hey y’all!

My flock of three was recently attacked by a raccoon. I never found the third one and I had two up until a few hours ago. The second saddle died. I am an emotional train wreck!
Anyways, I have 4 young chickens in my brooder. They were born in March. The older hen I have left still isn’t out of the woods yet. She does have some injuries but is eating more and more everyday and drinking water. How and when can i add the younger birds. And how would I do this is they aren’t eating the same food. Layers and starter.

I loved these chickens so much. I’m so devastated. I hate seeing her alone my three reds were so bonded.

Thank you so much

Coons are my nemesis. Smartest predator, and heartless. You have my sympathy.

As for adding the chicks - I am in the camp, the sooner the better. I get mine in about 3-4 weeks. They need hide outs, and escapes where she can follow them.

Feed - feed everyone chick starter or all flock, serve some oyster shell on the side.

Mrs K

I miss them so much already. I haven’t stopped crying since she died. It’s awful I feel so bad and I feel like it’s my fault. I let them free range and they loveeeeddd it. Ugh I’m a mess I want my birds back.

So, I should have mentioned this I don’t know if it makes a difference. She has some visible wounds. No feathers on tail or back. Do I need to wait until she’s fully healed/feathered?

Sorry for your losses.
Did the raccoon get at them while they were free ranging during the day?
I assume you have a secure coop and run that you are keeping her in now?
Can you put the brooder in there too?

It was during the day they were out of coop. The brooder won’t fit in there. My plan was…I have a large dog crate I was going to put the new chicks in there butted up against my hens run so they could get to know each other that way and have each others company.

I don't think it was coons, mine always attack in the night. Coyotes will get them in the day time.

But it really doesn't matter. The being featherless with wounds would be a much bigger problem with older birds, but not chicks.

I would set it up as you describe for a couple of days, then I would switch it, putting your hen in the crate, and letting the chicks in the run and coop. This lets them explore a bit without being chased, and it lets the hen see them there. It gives the chicks some territorial rights. You can set up hideouts, and safety zones, and give a mock chase so they find them. After a couple of days, put them together in the late afternoon.

Mrs K

I don't think it was coons, mine always attack in the night. Coyotes will get them in the day time.

But it really doesn't matter. The being featherless with wounds would be a much bigger problem with older birds, but not chicks.

I would set it up as you describe for a couple of days, then I would switch it, putting your hen in the crate, and letting the chicks in the run and coop. This lets them explore a bit without being chased, and it lets the hen see them there. It gives the chicks some territorial rights. You can set up hideouts, and safety zones, and give a mock chase so they find them. After a couple of days, put them together in the late afternoon.

Mrs K
This is immensely helpful! Thank you,Mrs K!

Mrs K
Do you know when my hen might start laying eggs again if ever?

It was during the day they were out of coop. The brooder won’t fit in there. My plan was…I have a large dog crate I was going to put the new chicks in there butted up against my hens run so they could get to know each other that way and have each others company.
Considering you just had a raccoon attack, I would not have a dog crate outside a run. It should be inside the run at the very least. A dog crate is 100% not predator safe as something like a raccoon could simply reach into it.

Back
Top Bottom