Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Sorry to hear about June, your quilt needs to take a back seat for a while...

I agree that the yellow looks too harsh against the other colors. I think your first instict was right and a shade of pink will do the trick.

I would get a light shade and a hotter shade and see which works better.

Thanks, Karen, will see what they have at Walmart when I go to get some other stuff.

June may have sucked a corn kernel down her windpipe or straw or blown an air sac or just be on her last legs. She has had issues with bloating and crushed shells inside her, straining to get them expelled, etc. And she is quite old so hard to say. It isn't pneumonia or anything like that, IMO, no gurgling or other signs of illness, just open mouth breathing with her little "huh" on exhale. We're doing what we can and if she passes, well, she's had a long life and been a blessing.
But, it is very distracting when I'm trying to create something. I just went to the barn and Hector's crazy bunch had overturned their waterer somehow and I had to remove two buckets of wet shavings. Sigh. Didn't help that my husband got me up before daybreak because of what he heard over the baby monitor in the barn and found June like this. Just need some sleep, I guess. Maybe a late day nap.

Naps are good, even a short one can make a person feel better.

Thanks, Karen, will see what they have at Walmart when I go to get some other stuff.

June may have sucked a corn kernel down her windpipe or straw or blown an air sac or just be on her last legs. She has had issues with bloating and crushed shells inside her, straining to get them expelled, etc. And she is quite old so hard to say. It isn't pneumonia or anything like that, IMO, no gurgling or other signs of illness, just open mouth breathing with her little "huh" on exhale. We're doing what we can and if she passes, well, she's had a long life and been a blessing.
But, it is very distracting when I'm trying to create something. I just went to the barn and Hector's crazy bunch had overturned their waterer somehow and I had to remove two buckets of wet shavings. Sigh. Didn't help that my husband got me up before daybreak because of what he heard over the baby monitor in the barn and found June like this. Just need some sleep, I guess. Maybe a late day nap.

Hi Cyn, it's been a few days and I was wondering how June is?

Hi Cyn, it's been a few days and I was wondering how June is?
You're a peach for asking. She is breathing much better. Seems she worked out whatever was in her throat or if it was an air sac, that seems to have resolved, and she had one day of being very perky and energetic, but today, she seems a bit slow and out of it. The old gal is 9 years old and has had a rough last year with soft shelled eggs for the first time in her life, two ended up collapsed inside her and we had to intervene. So, June is on borrowed time, but at least, she is not having a hard time getting a breath. She's a great old gal.

I am working on two quilt projects still. I ordered some fabric to see if I could find a shade for the setting triangles for the half-log cabin I'm doing. That should arrive Monday. Since I was at a stop for a few days on that one, I started another quilt, a scrappy Primitive Hearts quilt for a special little 5 year old girl that Ladyhawk knows whose mother has had a very difficult time of it lately. Using a lot of my scraps for this one.
The heart blocks are not arranged yet, just up on the board to keep them out of the way. Bunches more in progress. They are only about 8" blocks so it will take a few of those to get a quilt close to twin size.

You're a peach for asking. She is breathing much better. Seems she worked out whatever was in her throat or if it was an air sac, that seems to have resolved, and she had one day of being very perky and energetic, but today, she seems a bit slow and out of it. The old gal is 9 years old and has had a rough last year with soft shelled eggs for the first time in her life, two ended up collapsed inside her and we had to intervene. So, June is on borrowed time, but at least, she is not having a hard time getting a breath. She's a great old gal.

I am working on two quilt projects still. I ordered some fabric to see if I could find a shade for the setting triangles for the half-log cabin I'm doing. That should arrive Monday. Since I was at a stop for a few days on that one, I started another quilt, a scrappy Primitive Hearts quilt for a special little 5 year old girl that Ladyhawk knows whose mother has had a very difficult time of it lately. Using a lot of my scraps for this one.
The heart blocks are not arranged yet, just up on the board to keep them out of the way. Bunches more in progress. They are only about 8" blocks so it will take a few of those to get a quilt close to twin size.

Lucky little girl...there's nothing like a quilt to make you feel hugged. That's good of you to make her one, it's going to be lovely.

Glad to hear June is doing better. Wow, 9 years old, that's getting up there. She's in good hands.

Lucky little girl...there's nothing like a quilt to make you feel hugged. That's good of you to make her one, it's going to be lovely.

Glad to hear June is doing better. Wow, 9 years old, that's getting up there. She's in good hands.

I'm not sure it will even be bed quilt size, more likely a big "wubbie" for her to snuggle with. It's very simple, nothing complex, no special fabrics to buy, just a "use up my scraps" project that keeps me busy and may make her day.

June is a great hen. She's never wanted to be held or anything like that, but she will defend us against the Tiny Terrorist, or did when she had to be in the same pen with Tiny.

Cyn, catching up here… I'm glad to hear June is better. They sure can make us worry.

The baby quilt, before you asked I was thinking pink would compliment that beautifully. I'm thinking a softer pink though, maybe a pale one? This is something I'd take into a fabric shop and lay over a few rolls of fabric and see…

Cyn, catching up here… I'm glad to hear June is better. They sure can make us worry.

The baby quilt, before you asked I was thinking pink would compliment that beautifully. I'm thinking a softer pink though, maybe a pale one? This is something I'd take into a fabric shop and lay over a few rolls of fabric and see…

I am in the process of putting some of the rows together and if nothing I just ordered online will work, I can then take it with me to do just that. Thank you, Sumi. Check out the other thread, too. I am very pleased with the teal and rose quilt I finished recently. It's now living with its new owner, who thinks it turned out as pretty as I do. I love it when others think my efforts were worth it, don't you?

You are a pretty great quilter yourself! You ought to post your latest Cathedral Windows quilt, or I will just do it for you here, if you don't mind. I remember the other one you did a couple of years ago, wasn't it with oranges or something like that? I may be remembering wrong.

Are you still quilting Sumi? I've really enjoyed seeing some of the ones you've made in the past!

She sure is! She just Pm'd me a gorgeous quilt she's done. It has some real visual punch!

ETA: Walmart is very slow to get new fabrics right now so I ordered a few things from Thousands of Bolts. You pay shipping but if you divide if over the number of items you buy, especially if they're on sale, it's not bad at all. And their prices are very good for the quality of fabric they have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom