Opinions on best feed.

Ordered some from Chewy and I like it.
It's denser than the Nutrina that I usually use, so all 50 pounds fit in the smaller galvanized pail
When I first got Kalmbach feed, I thought it smelled so much better than the stuff I'd been feeding.

I get 50 lb bags, and it all fits into a 10 gallon galvanized pail. The lid is nice and tight too, so I don't need to worry about mice.

When I first got Kalmbach feed, I thought it smelled so much better than the stuff I'd been feeding.

I get 50 lb bags, and it all fits into a 10 gallon galvanized pail. The lid is nice and tight too, so I don't need to worry about mice.
Exactly!
I feel that the tighter compaction helps protect the food from oxygen and moisture degradation.

Interesting to know.
I'm feeding my ducklings Dumor duckling starter and they seem to be doing well. Nestle owns Purina, and I don't trust Nestle!
My sentiments, but I have since been told that the US chicken feed market is free of Purina. The name domestically is used by another feed mill (I forgot which) So you can get that for the chickens. (I try to avoid everything Nestle as good as I can, but it is sheer impossible)

I am right now trying a bag of Tucker Milling 22% protein layer feed. I have never seen Kalmbach in the stores around here. For my ease of mind, I need something I can pick up while I am running errands. For the quick emergency stop, I have TSC right next to Walmart. But the small bag of Purina layer fed is between $10 and $12, the big bag from the locally owned place is $15. I thought it would be more, but no.
They get a few mealworms in the evening, some grass and weeds during the day otherwise. Vegetable scraps when I have them.
They look Ok, probably not stellar, but I get every day my 3-4 eggs from my 5 girls.
One is laying eggs with thin shells that usually get broken. But that has to be a bird problem, it happens on layer feed with extra calcium on the side.

My sentiments, but I have since been told that the US chicken feed market is free of Purina. The name domestically is used by another feed mill (I forgot which) So you can get that for the chickens. (I try to avoid everything Nestle as good as I can, but it is sheer impossible)
Well, the bags of feed say Purina on them, so I am assuming that they are Purina.
Most Nestle stuff says Nestle on it, so I don't buy it. They took over San Pelagrino some time back.

Well, the bags of feed say Purina on them, so I am assuming that they are Purina.
Most Nestle stuff says Nestle on it, so I don't buy it. They took over San Pelagrino some time back.
Purina within the USA is not Purina outside the USA. Inside the USA Purina is owned by Land O'Lakes Cooperative, while outside the Purina brand is owned by Cargill.

I don't trust Nestle!
That implies that you do trust some large corporations.
Purina within the USA is not Purina outside the USA. Inside the USA Purina is owned by Land O'Lakes Cooperative, while outside the Purina brand is owned by Cargill.
More detail for those reading ( and I hope I remember correctly. I trust Lazy J to correct if incorrect.)
Purina livestock division USA -> Land O'Lakes
Purina pet division USA -> Nestle
Purina pet and/or livestock outside USA -> licensed to Cargill

I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on the best feed brands you use. I got away from Dumor and producer's pride as my babies wasn't getting enough from them. I'm currently using Purina but since Dumor is made by Purina I'm not entirely trusting of it.
I use Tucker Millings chicken and horse feed. It is out of Alabama. I use 22% super lay.
They have a hole line of feeds.
I hear nothing but bad things about Purina chicken food, dog food and horse food.

Back
Top Bottom