Opinions on countryside naturals feed

AndreaS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Hurdle Mills, NC
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with countryside naturals feed. It is an organic feed made in VA. No soy, non-GMO. It also has a vitamin/mineral/probiotics mix in it. The food is minimally processed, mainly whole grains, bits of corn, split peas, etc...I use the 17% layer ration. Because they don't make a pelleted version, I'm getting a little worried that my girls are just picking through it and getting out the bits that they really like (corn, peas) instead of getting the complete nutritional package. The feed seems very high quailty, is quite expensive, and I like the company.....has anyone had this issue with non pelleted feeds or with countryside?
Thanks!
Andrea

That's what I use, and I love it. I believe they are thinking of offering a pelleted form, too. There's a poll about that they're running on their website.

Personally, I hope they still continue with the crumble form. I have tiny bantams and the crumble is perfect for them. I also believe that if offered a diet that contains ingredients that meet all nutritional needs, critters will pick out what their bodies need at that particular moment, just as in nature.

I also recall reading a study that indicated it takes chickens longer to eat their fill with crumbles than with pellets so in that respect it keeps them more occupied and "entertained" in confinement. I know my flock seems to spend a good while scratching through the feed dish which I put inside a large plastic plant saucer to contain the over spill.

I like the ingredient list in Countryside Naturals and decided to order their Starter and Grower feeds until I can find something locally (not having much luck). I don't think the price is too awful for what you are getting; especially when compared with the major commercial rations out there. It's the freight that kills you. However, service was very quick. I had my order in two days; Virginia to New York State. I thought that was pretty good.

Yes, that is why I choose them as well. I loved the ingredient list....I'm just a little worried that they may be picking out the "ice cream" ie, corn, and not getting as much of the good stuff. I'm going to try and mix some of the dusty left overs with some kefir for them. It seems like such a waste when they just pick out bits. Putting something under the feeder is a good idea, I should try that.

Ever since I decided to keep chickens, I wanted Countryside Naturals Layer food. But there was no local vendor.
So I used the Blue Seal organic-life pelleted feed but really wanted to get something better. I went to a local supplier, Gooseberry, but it wasn't Countryside!
A few months ago I finally got 2 bags of the CSN layer feed. I really like the ingredients but quite a bit is a fine, sifted material that happens with all food items. And which would be fine if the girls ATE IT. Anyway, I have found that my girls are billing out the sifted material to get to the grains and then even billing out the whole pieces of food. Drives me nuts.

These aren't crumbles, these are whole grains. I am going back to the Blue Seal pelleted...sigh. I find it actually takes longer for them to eat the pellets because they have to break them up. The crumbles (the grower they grew up on) they just inhaled.

HOWEVER, I emailed CSN a couple of weeks ago begging them to make pelleted food and they said they already had it planned and would have it for next year. The MINUTE they have it available, I'm on it.

I used it too in the beginning. I live in an area of VA where they deliver. I found that my birds wasted so much of it. It is fine, not crumbles. I wish they would make a crumble or a pellet. I also tried the Blue Seal pellet, it has soy, but organic. They did not eat it very well, sooooo, I was in between and caved. I bought a bag of Purina Layena crumbles and they LOVE it. They eat so well and have been laying great this winter, except for a few molters. CSN is too expensive to have laying on the ground. If they do a pellet or crumble, I might switch back.

I have used Countryside Organics for all of my 8 layers for 2 years. I also feed my Barred Rock Roo the same layer mash. I now have over 100 chickens, 45 pullets, 50 cockerals, and the 9 adults. I feed a combination of layer mash for the adults and broiler feed for the young ones (4.5 months).
I too had a issue with the waste. However, I was able to minimize it by changing how I feed. First, let me explain that pellets and crumbles require cooking at a decent temperature; high enough to cook out nutirents. Therefore, it is not desireable. I pasture my younger chickens in tractors. I simply remove the food when all the grass is gone and force them to eat off the ground. After they "clean their plate" I move the tractor to fresh ground and give them their feed. I reduced my waste to nearly nothing. For those that don't pasture, you can simply give them their feed and limit the time they have to eat. That will keep the chickens from scratching out the food and not eating it. I do make allowances for rainy days so I don't have the chickens eating food that may start fermenting or worse getting moldy.
The feed from Countryside Organics is the best on the market. I live in Virginia within driving distance and the delivery area so I am lucky. Consider getting with other poultry people and buying in bulk. For those that want larger feed pieces, you can ask for a custom mix that isn't ground, but that may pose another set of issues.

Back
Top Bottom