Orange Tabby...He Stays and His Name is Finn (Update with Videos Dec 31)

Pics
Hi Cyn, love the new picture of Finn sitting on the porch! He is such a handsome guy (and apparently a good guard dog too)
big_smile.png

Hi Finn,

I am just relaxing in the sun with my chickens. What are you doing this afternoon?

Your brother from another mother,
Roux
wink.png

Well, the Finnikins was sleeping for most of the day. When I came in from the barn and taking pictures of the chicks, he went out and I couldn't find him to take his picture for you. I still have no idea where he is. Love the rooster. What was his name again?

Well, the Finnikins was sleeping for most of the day. When I came in from the barn and taking pictures of the chicks, he went out and I couldn't find him to take his picture for you. I still have no idea where he is. Love the rooster. What was his name again?
Well, if Finn slept most of the day then he must have had big plans. Lol!

Thank you! That is our sweet boy Raylan Givens (named after the main character in the TV show Justified) but I call him Ray Ray. I have been holding my breath with him ever since we sent Boyd to live in MS. He is 9 months old this week and still has the most lovely personality. I took your suggestions and basically ignored him for about a month after Boyd left and as he became more confident in his new found flock duties I noticed that he started seeking me out for attention. A couple of times a day he will come up to me and tug at my pants leg because he wants to be picked up. Sometimes I will carry him around the yard and other times I will go sit down and he will go to sleep in my lap. He only crows about 7 or 8 times in the morning and is not aggressive with his girls so I am hoping that he doesn't have as a big of a dose of testosterone as Boyd. Do you think he is past the danger zone?
fl.gif

Well, if Finn slept most of the day then he must have had big plans. Lol!

Thank you! That is our sweet boy Raylan Givens (named after the main character in the TV show Justified) but I call him Ray Ray. I have been holding my breath with him ever since we sent Boyd to live in MS. He is 9 months old this week and still has the most lovely personality. I took your suggestions and basically ignored him for about a month after Boyd left and as he became more confident in his new found flock duties I noticed that he started seeking me out for attention. A couple of times a day he will come up to me and tug at my pants leg because he wants to be picked up. Sometimes I will carry him around the yard and other times I will go sit down and he will go to sleep in my lap. He only crows about 7 or 8 times in the morning and is not aggressive with his girls so I am hoping that he doesn't have as a big of a dose of testosterone as Boyd. Do you think he is past the danger zone?
fl.gif
Sounds like he's probably getting close to being past the danger zone, but watch hanging onto him too much for awhile longer. He may just be what you've been hoping for-having a sweet and stunningly gorgeous rooster is such a pleasure. Isaac would occasionally tug on our pants to be picked up, even up until he passed away at going on 7 years old. Such a wonderful rooster he was.

I just finished reading the entire thread and I have to say I LOVE the Adventures of Finn!

We don't have outdoor cats but 6 indoor kitties. Only because in our area cat are not liked by everyone and there are people who trap them and take them to the pound even if they have collars and homes. It might also be due to the fact not one of these furballs has any interest in going outside even if the door is left open.

I do find it interesting about the tomcat full face thing. Our youngest (a year in April) has a full face and he was neutered at 4 months old. He is a big cat though. Not fat mind you but large with paws at rival our dogs'. The other boy was neutered at 10 weeks and has a nice lean face that suits him.

I could go on and tells stories about our indoor colony but its not my thread. I will share some photos though.

Bailey, one of the oldest cats, staking her claim in the kitchen. K opened the draw and she came out. Still have no clue how she got in unnoticed.

Sebastian, one of the "Babies" trying to blend in with my putz houses. He has his winter coat so he looks fuller than he is.

Sebastian with the REAL baby, Basil. They are both Siamese mixes. Basil is near full grown now and DARK!

Don't they look like they got caught being naughty!?

Lilli in the foreground, Dori is the black "shadow", Sebastian again and Alice in the sun. Yes, they eat on my bed. Our room is the kitty safe zone from our 4 year old and the dogs.

My Mother is the one who quilts. She refuses to let anyone in the family buy blankets or comforters.

Alice looking annoyed. She hates the camera. She was one of our bottle feeders that bonded to my husband.

You never know where Bailey will show up...

Seriously! Why...?!

Sounds like he's probably getting close to being past the danger zone, but watch hanging onto him too much for awhile longer. He may just be what you've been hoping for-having a sweet and stunningly gorgeous rooster is such a pleasure. Isaac would occasionally tug on our pants to be picked up, even up until he passed away at going on 7 years old. Such a wonderful rooster he was.
I am sorry I never got to meet Isaac in person, it seems I was a couple of months too late coming to your place. I will definitely take your advice and be mindful of babying Ray Ray too much. It would break my heart if he turned aggressive. Did y'all get any snow? I heard someone say on the radio yesterday that it was snowing in North GA yesterday morning.

I am sorry I never got to meet Isaac in person, it seems I was a couple of months too late coming to your place. I will definitely take your advice and be mindful of babying Ray Ray too much. It would break my heart if he turned aggressive. Did y'all get any snow? I heard someone say on the radio yesterday that it was snowing in North GA yesterday morning.

We got a few flurries, but it didn't even really wet the ground and was gone in 5 minutes. VERY glad about that!

Oh, my @Grimm you sure have a lot of cats! I'm generally not a cat person, definitely not an indoor cat person. I just am happy to have a mouser outside. Finn gets to sleep in her during the day but he's outside in his heated house all night when he isn't hunting.

Oh, my @Grimm you sure have a lot of cats! I'm generally not a cat person, definitely not an indoor cat person. I just am happy to have a mouser outside. Finn gets to sleep in her during the day but he's outside in his heated house all night when he isn't hunting.

A few years ago we were living in a cabin in the mountains about 15 miles from here and the cabin was infested with mice. We only had 5 of the cats at that time and they proved to be very good mousers for indoor cats. Only one mouse made it out of the cabin alive but I don't think he survived the toss off the deck to the hillside below. I tossed him in to the bench first on accident.

We found that leaving the basement door open at night gave the monsters a chance to get the mice and nests down there while we slept. Then when my husband got up in the morning he'd chase them out and close the door. Not to mention clean up the leftovers the cats left around the cabin.

I have always been a cat person because I grew up on a Kansas farm where you needed cats as mousers. My parents had cats as mousers and dogs for hunting. It wasn't til we moved out of Kansas I learned you could keep them as companions only. I never had indoor only cats til a roommate and I decided to get a pair of cats together. He grew up with indoor only cats so he was not comfortable letting them outside. Then after getting married my husband and I moved a lot so the cats always stayed inside. Mostly because we had/have black cats and where we lived people were very superstitious. Black cats disappeared often if they were outside. Sometimes they were found but not in one piece and looked like people were the reason they passed if you get my drift.

We do have two dogs and they know their place is at the foot of our bed at night. They are totally trustworthy with our chickens. 100%. They only follow the girls around to eat their poo or steal some kitchen scraps. Our little one followed me into the run yesterday and she started eating the fresh poop as I filled feeders and waterers. No interest in the hens who were foraging nearby. The girls paid no attention to the dog either. I never thought I could trust a bird dog with chickens but I guess I can.

Back
Top Bottom