Our dog was diagnozed with a brain tumor today

kycklingmamma

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
My slice of Heaven on Earth...
We have a mutt, Chowchow/Dalmation/ Lab, named Lou. He is 11 years old and the last couple of months he has gone downhill as far as his health. He was diagnozed with hypothyroidism a month and a half ago, and today he was diagnozed with a braintumor. Has anybody had this happen to their dog? what can we anticipate. He has been put on prednesone, to see if the tumor will shrink. He ssems to be in pain, he is constantly walking around and whining.
Our vet said that "if it was his dog, he would let him go to sleep..." We are leaning that way but it is hard. Less than a month ago we had our oldest dog, Bogus put to sleep, his liver was failing and his spleen and kidneys were severly enlarged. I am not ready to loose one more of our beloved pets...but leaving Lou in pain for our sake is not an option either.
Please if you have had this happen let me know what you think I should do. It is so hard...

kindly,Kycklingmamma

If he is in pain, the kindest thing you can do is it end his suffering. It must be so hard to go though what you are going through.
hugs.gif

If you really think he is not happy, then you should try to find the strength to let him go. You know your dog, and you will know in your heart if its time. I only had to make that decision once, and i could look in Andy's eyes and know he was unhappy. I'm sorry you are having to endure so much heartache all at once
hugs.gif
Good Luck with this
hmm.png

So sorry,
Such a hard decision. Sounds like you know what's best. I've had to have the vet put down lots of pets over the years. It's never easy. I have made peace with the thought that every pet I lose makes room for another. It's the last best gift you can give them.

Russ

Prednisone may or may not shrink the tumor-might buy some time. The end result will be the same. Did the vet give you pain medication for him? If so use it. He may be pacing and whining because he is confused. Is he shaking his head? If his head hurts he would shake or paw at it. Dogs also have a thin lower eyelid that is visible when they are in pain. Check his eyes. Be aware that brain tumors often cause seizures. Seizures occur more at night. Did the Vet put him on an antiseizure medication? Keep him warm and comfortable and Love him while he's still with you.

I went through this with our Doberman. (Metastatic cancer) She had seizures occasionally her last six months. She was on Phenobarbitol. She wasn't in pain but would get confused at times and she would become very anxious just before a seizure. She was very active and comfortable right up to the end. She had a massive seizure and dropped dead in front of me. It was tramatic but I don't feel the guilt I would have if I had to put her down. However if she was in pain or had frequent/uncontrolled seizures, I would have had her euthanized.

Happened with my dog. He didn't seem to be in any physical pain, but started having seizures. At first the seizures were infrequent, but they gradually happened more often. He would be very confused and act frightened. It seemed kinder to euthanize him when the seizures became a daily event and he became anxious and fearful and wouldn't let me out of his sight. It affected his brain enough so that in his last couple of days alive he began to run into walls and became incontinent. Toward the last few hours I'm not sure if he recognized who I was anymore. It was a relief to let him go, but I still miss him 5 yrs later.

You will know when the time has come.

I am so sorry all of you are dealing with this, especially Lou.
hugs.gif
Wish I could do more, but all I can offer is sympathy and hugs. I am confident you will make the right decision, do what you feel is best for Lou.

hit.gif
O that hit my heart. I had to put my wrangler down back in 96 and to this day I will never forget him, he also had a tumor and it made him mean to others at first but then he was in pain and I couldnt allow that. There were other reasons also but it still hurt like heck. I felt guilty and had to keep going through the reasons to keep it at bay. Now if I had to do it again even without the other reasons I still would because of the pain he was in.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your sweet and encouraging words. Lou is not having seizures yet but I am not sure I want himto go as far as to have them...My kids are devastated, it is really too much for them especially after having to put Bogus down in march. My husband and I have some really hard decisions to make within the next few days. I don't want to keep Lou on prednesone to buy time, when eventually the outcome will be the same.

Buckeye Lady - I didn't know about the eyes, but will check them once he wakes up.

We know what to do, it is just hard.

again, Thank you.
Kycklingmamma

Back
Top Bottom