Overstock Sale on 5-gallon Bucket Feeder Kit at Amazon, reduced 50% to $6.49!

I got several food grade buckets from a donut/ice cream shop. $1.50, including a lid.

Since they held donut filling (heavy when full), the handles were good quality too. You don't want the handle of a five gallon bucket to break when you're carrying a load somewhere.

I got several food grade buckets from a donut/ice cream shop. $1.50, including a lid.

:clapThat sounds like a great deal. You can easily pay more than that just for a new bucket lid at the big box store. How did you find that deal? Did you ask them about used buckets or were they on display for sale?

Since they held donut filling (heavy when full), the handles were good quality too. You don't want the handle of a five gallon bucket to break when you're carrying a load somewhere.

That's a good point. I don't think I have ever had a handle fail on my 5-gallon buckets, but I mainly buy the heavy-duty utility shop buckets with good handles.

:caf Just for information, I split a 50 lb. bag of chicken feed into two 5-gallon buckets for storage. Easy math there which makes each bucket holding 25 lb. of feed. Water weighs just over 8 lbs. per gallon; therefore, a full 5-gallon bucket of water would weigh over 40 lbs. So, you need a good handle on those buckets.

That sounds like a great deal. You can easily pay more than that just for a new bucket lid at the big box store. How did you find that deal? Did you ask them about used buckets or were they on display for sale?
A neighbor told me about this place. I don't know how she found out. It helps the store: they do recycle them, but they're big and awkward; and this way, they make a few bucks. They don't advertise, but I did stop on a couple of occasions, and they were out. So the word gets around!

My original Amazon link now goes to a Cyber Monday sale...

1701128508769.png

Looks like they ran out of the 4 feeder kit and switched to the 8 feeder kit.

I did not expect the overstock price to last very long, which is why I posted it when I did. A few people took advantage of the overstock deal. The Cyber Monday deal is good, but the overstock deal was better.

In any case, with Amazon, if you are interested in a product, you can add it to your Wishlist and sometimes you get a notification if that item goes back on a special sale. I do that all the time for items I would like to buy someday, but only at a lower price.

I set this up with my chickens yesterday in a 5 gallon bucket. My god they make a big mess and waste a lot of food on the ground.
That's odd. It should cut down the amount of wasted feed, not increase it. Can you take a couple of pictures (including one peaking into an opening and at least one showing where it sits/hangs) and we might be able to spot the problem?

I set this up with my chickens yesterday in a 5 gallon bucket. My god they make a big mess and waste a lot of food on the ground.

That surprises me. I have had one of these PVC type feeders in a 5-gallon bucket hanging in my coop for over 4 years. It's not 100% waste proof, but much better than other feeders I have tried. I have my feeder bucket hanging about the level of their backs, so the chickens have to reach into the PVC to get the food. There is not much waste at all.

I know some people have installed the PVC ports upside down, and then the feed would just come pouring out. But if installed correctly, you should have very little spillage.

Like @TooCheep mentioned, please post some pictures of the feeder setup. I would also request a picture of the inside of the feeder showing how you installed the PVC ports. If you are getting a lot of waste, there must be some reason and maybe we can see something if you post a few pictures.

:idunno There are over 400 4- and 5-star reviews on that product. There were only 2 1-star reviews I could find related to food waste. However, if you bought this kit from Amazon, you can still return it for a refund and put in a negative review on your experience with the product. FWIW, I would not have recommended this product if I had poor results. But I could not be happier with the performance of my 5-gallon PVC bucket feeder. It dramatically cut down my feed waste.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom