OXINE seems fabulous. Users please share usage, dosage, storage, etc.

Oxine will kill at least some kinds of good bacteria. Lactobacillus is one. There is a list of many bacteria, fungi & viruses Oxine kills at http://www.bio-cide.com/uploads/efficacy Oxine.pdf.

Note: Oxine can only kill organisms with which it comes into direct contact. That means it won't have effect in the bloodstream or organs that aren't part of the digestive tract if given in drinking water. Nebulizing with Oxine in a humidifier can bring it into contact with the airway, lungs & possibly air sacs (depending on how fine the mist is), though it can't be guaranteed to reach completely throughout the respiratory system.

When I tried treating my chickens' respiratory problems by nebulizing with Oxine, it didn't seem to make a difference. Possibly the mist didn't reach thoroughly enough into their systems, or maybe some bacteria are shielded in the respiratory system such that Oxine can't directly contact them.

I have also unsuccessfully tried using Oxine for diarrhea my chickens had. I don't know if it didn't work because I didn't treat long enough, the causative organisms weren't susceptible to Oxine, or if Oxine is not very potently available by the time it gets close to the "tail end" of the digestive tract...
idunno.gif

On another note: Citric acid is used to activate Oxine. I suspect that the natural acid in apple cider vinegar would also activate Oxine.
old.gif
I would recommend not combining ACV & Oxine in chickens' drinking water, as a precaution.

Last edited:
About 3 years ago I purchased some bottles of Oxine from an on line poultry site. It is great stuff, but be aware that it does not store will long term because the plastic bottles deteriorate.

I went to get a bottle of it just 3 days ago and found 3 of the 4 bottles EMPTY! No, someone has not been using it when I'm not looking, all of the bottles were separating at the bottom and it had all leaked out! Kinda expensive lesson. I will put it in a glass bottle when I get it from now on. I don't know if it needs to be in an opaque container tho. But I will keep it in the dark between uses.
Now this is good to know. I'll change mine out. Thanks
highfive.gif

Eatatese, oxine actived is only for areas when there is not biological life. For everyday use, dosages are listed in this site for most everything you need it for.I have oxine, but don't have the crystals at all. If I were fumigating a incubator,for example, I'd need it activated and you have to protect your skin and wear a respirator to use it.

Last edited:
Quote:
How long can one expect to fog their chickens with this stuff before they see their healthy improve? My chickens have sneezing going on...and I've been fogging them twice daily for about I've days.

I used a home vaporizer over night for over a week with one roo that had a cough and I have not hear him cough in days now. I just kept it up till he was not coughing as much and if he started again fire it up again. His problem may have just be the heat... it is hard for me to breath too
big_smile.png

someone posted they made a tent and put duck that had a respiratory problem and were on the verge of dieing in and they pulled through with oxine vaporizing or fogging and it was quick too.

Quote:

No I don't think that includes shipping. If I remember right it was 21.99 shipping to me in AZ. Could be wrong, I checked so many lastnight.

Best bargain I could find was lamberts vet supply. Something like $22.00/gal + 1.00 process fee + 10.99 shipping (I think it is a flat rate shipping from NM to any mainland state).

Back
Top Bottom