Oxytetracyline and Tetracycline Powder Doses

Is there any place to get oxytetracycline now? Or is it only veterinary prescribed? I am almost out and this stuff is great to have on hand.

Is there any place to get oxytetracycline now? Or is it only veterinary prescribed? I am almost out and this stuff is great to have on hand.
You might be able to find some on eBay or amazon. If not there, you could buy fish antibiotics, but it will be very expensive.

Yeppers....Just go to your local farm store. It is still used for scours in calves....

I hear tell, some people buy it there, crush it into a powder and use it..However, that is off label use and should not be done by a lay person such as myself...(or at least not get caught doing it)......

It's so nice to have your post on antibiotic dilutions..I have a Arcauna show bird, a real beauty who has come down with a very severe case of airsacullitis..usually I catch that sort of thing when I hear a snit but she had gone broody and had tucked herself into an egg box. When I went to remove the eggs she stated gurgling..Of course panic set in and I didnt have the dosage breakdown in with the medication.. Stupid me! So a quick google and there you were with those wonderful calculations..Started her last night and this morning she's showing improvement..Sneezing but less gurgling..Thanks from very hot Las Vegas with an occasional 70mph sand storm..Bon

Welcome back to BYC!

I am happy to hear that your hen is already improving and that you found my obsession with dosing helpful! Please keep me updated.

Last edited:
IMG_8347.jpg
Suarte..rumpless tuffed Arcauna bantam..thanks you..who is not too happy being seperated from her flock..a few more days and she'll be reunited and being the smallest getting back on tract giving the other bigger birds grief..

Last edited:
img_8347-jpg.1505761
Suarte..rumpless tuffed Arcauna bantam..thanks you..who is not too happy being seperated from her flock..a few more days and she'll be reunited and being the smallest getting back on tract giving the other bigger birds grief..
:love She is cute!

Oxytetracycline - 343

so out of the medications you have shown us, are certain ones best for certain diseases? I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge...... :)

102.4 / 135.5 = 0.76 , which means that it's 76% oxytetracycline and 24% filler
760 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 760mg = 2280 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~1/3 slightly rounded teaspoon

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom