oyster shells - where are they??? New Orleans, La to Mobile, AL

NOLA farm

Chirping
Dec 2, 2016
New Orleans
I have been to the feed store and looked online. There is a online retailer with no locations near me that has shells but the shipping is crazy.

Anyone in between New Orleans and Mobile, AL have any suggestions?

Thanks

You might want to post on your state thread, that would give you the best chance for a response from someone close to you. Just do a search for the LA state thread or the one for AL and it should pop up in the search results.

P.S. I always found them at the local feed store and the ACE hardware stores when I lived in Florida.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Any TSC, or farm and home store that sells bagged livestock feed or similar places will have oyster shell in small quart sized and larger bags.

Since you mentioned you're surrounded by oysters, you can even use your leftover shells if you happen to eat them yourself. I think they need to be baked first to kill off any parasites that might be on them, after that you can just smash them into little pieces for your chickens.

The effort involved does not equate to my ability to purchase a 50# bag for between 10-20 dollars. For a while I was planing my own wood chips and did a time and value ration. It is so much cheaper to buy it packaged. Obviously the bigger the package even better. Time is worth money too in my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom