Pale Yellow Lump on My Hen’s Underside. Should I Be Concerned?

SkyWolf

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2023

My seven year old hen had an odd lump on her underside. It’s smooth and has no feathers growing out of it. It seems to just be a lump of something surrounded by thin skin. It’s on her underside, right along her rib cage. It doesn’t seem to bother her, but I still worry. Is this something I should be concerned about?

It’s about the size of a dime. Here are some pictures.

Please tell me your thoughts💕

Attachments

• 7E22CF7A-CAB1-4DAE-8E68-902418609B87.jpeg
    7E22CF7A-CAB1-4DAE-8E68-902418609B87.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 11A2A324-3101-4BDA-B773-95813BA51B55.jpeg
    11A2A324-3101-4BDA-B773-95813BA51B55.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 13
  • E3BF925F-9F2E-4EB8-961F-EADA3305853C.jpeg
    E3BF925F-9F2E-4EB8-961F-EADA3305853C.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 12
Is it possibly a breast blister? It might be where her breast bone rubs on the roost.
Maybe, she does have blisters but this is raised and under her skin. The skin is fine, but there is a yellow mass under it is all.

Beginnings of a breast blister.
Likely the part of her body that makes contact with the roosting bar.

You can try padding the bar to see if that helps. Doesn't look too bad, so I'd monitor it. If it gets red, oozes or increases in size, then you'll want to clean it out.
I've had a couple of heavy hens with similar and the area actually hardened and became calloused, so I just left it alone (monitoring of course).

Beginnings of a breast blister.
Likely the part of her body that makes contact with the roosting bar.

You can try padding the bar to see if that helps. Doesn't look too bad, so I'd monitor it. If it gets red, oozes or increases in size, then you'll want to clean it out.
I've had a couple of heavy hens with similar and the area actually hardened and became calloused, so I just left it alone (monitoring of course).
I don’t know, maybe?
I do have birds with breast blisters. She even has some (you can kind of see them in the picture). She is old and sleeps in the nest boxes because they are lower to the ground. So can’t really help with roosts for her.

I don’t really think it’s a blister because the skin is fine. The skin is soft and normal looking. The yellow mass is under the skin. Her skin is thin so you can see it very clearly.

Breast blister or cyst from laying on her chest much of the day. You can clean it with Betadine if it opens or scabs.
Thanks, but it’s not a scab at all actually. The skin is soft and smooth there. The yellow lump is something under the skin actually. So far we are thinking maybe pus because of the redness, but maybe just fat.

My seven year old hen had an odd lump on her underside. It’s smooth and has no feathers growing out of it. It seems to just be a lump of something surrounded by thin skin. It’s on her underside, right along her rib cage. It doesn’t seem to bother her, but I still worry. Is this something I should be concerned about?

It’s about the size of a dime. Here are some pictures.

Please tell me your thoughts💕
Update: We did cut it open awhile back. She didn’t bleed or seem in pain since it was super thin skin. It was just fat. We did remove it since we already cut it open. Then cleaned it and sent her back to the coop. She’s back to raising hell for our other birds, so I’m not to worried about this old girl💕

Back
Top Bottom