Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Here are my Partridge rock Girls- I have 3 partridge rocks, 2 golden Comets, and 3 Amberlinks, all hatched 3/20, so we are hoping for eggs soon!

welcome-byc.gif

Great looking Flock!

Your chickens look like they are a month or so from laying. The Golden Comets will probably be first.

I have Partridge rocks shipped the first week of February and I am still waiting for them to lay their first egg.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks- We just knew to start looking at about 18 weeks. How do you know just by looking? What should we be looking for?

Thanks- We just knew to start looking at about 18 weeks. How do you know just by looking? What should we be looking for?

Look for big red wattles and combs.
The will start "egg squatting" which is what they do when they are ready for a rooster to cover them.
They either become more friendly and chatty or seem a bit anxious.
They will first check out the nest box and several days before the first egg they will begin "arranging" it. Some of mine tore it to pieces--threw the shavings all over the place.

At 16 to 18 weeks, start them on Layer and or provide free choice calcium.

Get the nest boxes ready and put a fake egg or two in each box.

It will be very exciting to get that first egg.

Ron

Thanks! I'll look for those things.

We are offering calcium and have done the fake egg thing as well. They do sleep in teh nesting boxes, so I will watch for them to mess up the place.

So excited!

Thanks! I'll look for those things.

We are offering calcium and have done the fake egg thing as well. They do sleep in teh nesting boxes, so I will watch for them to mess up the place.

So excited!
Try placing the roost board higher than the nest box. You might also try putting them onto the roost at night. It might take a while but they will eventually learn to sleep on the roost instead of the nest box.

Ron

In memory of my Tweety who was just killed by a dog that dug into our backyard I made this to wear, the comb on the left. She was my only Partridge Rock. :( She was such a sweet girl!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry to hear about this! I have dogs on two side of me. Luckily the fences are in good shape.

very nice feather jewelry!

Ron

Look for big red wattles and combs.
The will start "egg squatting" which is what they do when they are ready for a rooster to cover them.
They either become more friendly and chatty or seem a bit anxious.
They will first check out the nest box and several days before the first egg they will begin "arranging" it. Some of mine tore it to pieces--threw the shavings all over the place.

At 16 to 18 weeks, start them on Layer and or provide free choice calcium.

Get the nest boxes ready and put a fake egg or two in each box.

It will be very exciting to get that first egg.

Ron
Well, we don't know who laid it, but today we found this!!!

So exciting!
Thanks for all the help, Ron!

Back
Top Bottom