Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
hugs.gif

I am so sorry to hear about this! I have dogs on two side of me. Luckily the fences are in good shape.

very nice feather jewelry!

Ron

THank you. Our fences are in good shape thankfully, iron fence is where the dog dug under from the front yard. People let their dogs run around here. Very frustrating! So now I need to figure out what to do. I guess I'll be digging trenches and filling them with cement.

Quote: yes, the cement is a good idea. Sewangrow is going to have to do that in Turlock Ca. She had a dog dig under the fence and kill a chicken and injure a Goose. The home owner will not do anything about it. She is going to take the owner to small claims court.

Ron

Hello, I just picked up my Plymouth Rocks pullets today. They were hatched May 7th. I am excited about having them as its my first time having chickens. They were on Pellets at their previous owners so I purchased them layer pellets since from the info I have received should start laying in 2 months or so.
So far they are doing great. Little apprehensive with the dogs being curious about them but within a half hour were drinking & scratching for pellets hidden under the shavings.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions? I will post pics shortly

Hello, I just picked up my Plymouth Rocks pullets today. They were hatched May 7th. I am excited about having them as its my first time having chickens. They were on Pellets at their previous owners so I purchased them layer pellets since from the info I have received should start laying in 2 months or so.
So far they are doing great. Little apprehensive with the dogs being curious about them but within a half hour were drinking & scratching for pellets hidden under the shavings.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions? I will post pics shortly

smilies-3435.png

They are about three months old? Mine did not start laying until 24 weeks or so. At 18 weeks or so, either switch them to layer feed or give them free choice calcium with grower feed. When they start laying give them layer for sure along with free choice calcium. The extra calcium is necessary in hot weather--over heating saps them of calcium. too much calcium before they start laying hurts their kidneys.

Also, set up their nest boxes with pine shavings and a couple of fake eggs in each box. golf balls will work as a fake egg.

Have fun!

Ron

Here are the girls scratching around in the large run looking for goodies. They made quick work of figuring out the tunnel (behind them) to get from the main run to the small run that is attached to the coop

Here are the girls scratching around in the large run looking for goodies. They made quick work of figuring out the tunnel (behind them) to get from the main run to the small run that is attached to the coop
They are very nice looking!

they are going to Molt again at around 16 weeks. They will have their big girl feathers then and will probably be redder then.
Vera is my oldest hen and my only PR.

Your girl looks nice too!

I like that they are smaller than the Barred Plymouth Rocks but still lay a nice large egg.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom