Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Adenium- Thanks! I took a look at your post and honestly I can't tell yet if your chick is a roo or pullet. I'd give it a few more weeks! Sorry I could not be of more help :( I know with my roo the comb development was large and starting turning bright pink pretty fast. Good luck!

Thanks so much for taking a look. I'm happy to know there's a CHANCE of a hen even if a slight one. I will certainly update when it's a little older, just to add to the info-library here.

Hi Adenium,

I would give it a few more weeks too. The feathers around the neck are what is left from the chick down and doesn't mean anything. The new feathers on the wings are coming in with the partridge rock pattern. If this is a cockerel, that pattern will become black with a green sheen.

The Cockerels do not have the barred pattern for the most part. Also, yours does not have wattles growing in and the comb is not pink. If the wattles are growing and the comb turns pink along with the feathers turning black they you have a cockerel. You will know for sure at six weeks.

Bye,

Ron

Thanks Ron!

I wonder if there could be a section set up somewhere on BYC that collects all the reliable info about sexing each breed. To include info like which ones will have an early noticeable comb whether hen or roo, and which ones need 6 weeks versus much longer to tell. I tried searching, but you get piecemeal answers and a lot of threads pose questions and then the OP never updates with how it turned out. Maybe it's here somewhere already and I didn't know.

Thanks Ron!

I wonder if there could be a section set up somewhere on BYC that collects all the reliable info about sexing each breed. To include info like which ones will have an early noticeable comb whether hen or roo, and which ones need 6 weeks versus much longer to tell. I tried searching, but you get piecemeal answers and a lot of threads pose questions and then the OP never updates with how it turned out. Maybe it's here somewhere already and I didn't know.
This is what they will look like at 8 weeks:

The Cockerel is on the left. The Pullet has a smaller comb and now wattles. The cockerel has wattles and you can see the partridge pattern being covered by the black feathers.

Ron

I'm paranoid about the neck and chest feathers that haven't really opened up yet. I think they're primarily black. Ack! Must remain calm......

I'm paranoid about the neck and chest feathers that haven't really opened up yet. I think they're primarily black. Ack! Must remain calm......
I had my three cockerels until they were 20 weeks old. They had just started crowing at 18 weeks old, so there is no need to panic. They aren't very good at it for quite some time.

You very well could have one of the 5% that are mis identified as pullets but are cockerels. I bought straight run from McMurray.

I am getting used to them becoming cockerels and pullets since I have been hatching my own eggs.

You will know in time. The Partridge Rocks are easy to figure out at 6 weeks.

Ron

Absolutely beautiful. Wish you were closer.

Today I was out checking the chickens when I got home--It was abut 6:00 pm. The two Partridge Rock Pullets were on top of one of the chicken hutches and I was thinking how beautiful they were
love.gif
! Their feathers are very soft too.

They also did fine in the heat--Yesterday it was 107 and today it was 105 or so. I did have a Marans Cockerel die yesterday.

One of the PRs should start laying any time now.

Bye,

Ron

Here are my Partridge rock Girls- I have 3 partridge rocks, 2 golden Comets, and 3 Amberlinks, all hatched 3/20, so we are hoping for eggs soon!

Back
Top Bottom