Partridge Rock Thread

This is my girl Poppit. She's 18 weeks old. I'm excited to have her lay her first egg. This is all new to me & I love learning about the different breeds
1f60d.png

When you see a picture of a partridge rock on a hatchery website, is that actually what a hatchery bird will look like or is there a big difference between show quality and hatchery (like with SIlver Laced Wyandottes)?

I have a hatchery partridge rock, she is much smaller than an exhibition bird. Her coloring is brassy in the cape and the penciling is mossy. The leg color is off also.
Even with all her faults she is one of my favorites and will go broody in the spring.
I would love to find some show birds close to me.

I have a hatchery partridge rock, she is much smaller than an exhibition bird. Her coloring is brassy in the cape and the penciling is mossy. The leg color is off also.
Even with all her faults she is one of my favorites and will go broody in the spring.
I would love to find some show birds close to me.

Your exhibition bird is partridge as well or barred rock?

I am involved with 4-H, the exhibition Rocks are in the Open class birds. The Barred were bigger than the Whites I've seen up close.
I've only seen parti pullets at the very few shows I've been to and they looked to be hatchery birds in large fowl. The bantams looked much closer to SOP.
I had a good pair of bantams and lost both of them, very sad days here then, they were wonderful birds.

Why are partridge rocks so hard to find?

The hatcheries have sold all the expected chicks for 2017, it seems. There aren't any breeders listing eggs on here.

Does the partridge coloration gene make the bird have less fertile eggs, or what?

Why are partridge rocks so hard to find?

The hatcheries have sold all the expected chicks for 2017, it seems. There aren't any breeders listing eggs on here.

Does the partridge coloration gene make the bird have less fertile eggs, or what?
Hum... not sure why you are having a hard time. I have never had a fertility issue with mine. I had a pen breach so I have to wait a bit on them. I need to hatch a good bit out for me this year.

Back
Top Bottom