Partridge Rock Thread

Hum... not sure why you are having a hard time. I have never had a fertility issue with mine. I had a pen breach so I have to wait a bit on them. I need to hatch a good bit out for me this year.
I have partridge rock hens (hatchery) and they are good layers. My hens were small to begin with but filled out the second year. Their youngsters seem to be good sized. I haven't heard of any hatching issues with the Partridge but they are not as common.

As one of the last few breeders of these the reason not many stay is there are no real good stock. I started with hatchery stock. Got hold of one breeders hen. But that and many others breeders got out of them. I actually have to go back to hatchery stock to get fresh stock. It is so discouraging that even I am thinking of getting out now. It is almost next to impossible to show now but I never did but getting good stock is null. I am going backwards to 8 years ago getting from hatchery I bought my first chicks from now. I have 3 hens left and no rooster now as my old rooster got old. Lost and sold many local but those sold did not have roosters so non pure. I am now switching breeds. Time will tell if my PPRs keep going.

Thanks for your input. I was wondering why they stayed so rare. I ended up ordering some fertile eggs from McMurray.
I ordered mine as chicks from McMurray and I am pleased with them. They were slow growing but filled out nicely the second year. I have now crossed them with my silver pencil rock who is large. The babies are nice sized. The hens are great layers, great mothers, and have a great personality. I don't show but as a self sustaining flock, with a decent size when processing the extra roosters. Far out performed my Dorkings.

I ordered mine as chicks from McMurray and I am pleased with them.   They were slow growing but filled out nicely the second year.   I have now crossed them with my silver pencil rock who is large.  The babies are nice sized.  The hens are great layers,  great mothers,  and have a great personality.  I don't show but as a self sustaining flock,  with a decent size when processing the extra roosters.  Far out performed my Dorkings.  

Thanks. I will post my experience with my hatchlings later. The eggs arrive next week.

I have been breeding them for years and I have not had those issues. They have not been a priority pen so I have not had as many hatch. This year I am trying to fix my numbers. Maybe I need to get my numbers way up. Mine are not hatchery birds. I have been working on Blue partridge and maybe those crosses have been why I have been able to avoid those issues.

As one of the last few breeders of these the reason not many stay is there are no real good stock. I started with hatchery stock. Got hold of one breeders hen. But that and many others breeders got out of them. I actually have to go back to hatchery stock to get fresh stock. It is so discouraging that even I am thinking of getting out now. It is almost next to impossible to show now but I never did but getting good stock is null. I am going backwards to 8 years ago getting from hatchery I bought my first chicks from now. I have 3 hens left and no rooster now as my old rooster got old. Lost and sold many local but those sold did not have roosters so non pure. I am now switching breeds. Time will tell if my PPRs keep going.

That is a shame. Partridge Rocks are simply gorgeous and I would love to add one to my backyard flock.

Back
Top Bottom