Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Molly (3/4 silkie) has been raising some chicks for me from ordered eggs. There are 6 partridge in there to add some new blood and younger roosters to my flock. I didn't breed for too many years and the boys have gotten old. All the pure silkie chicks I've managed to hatch have been female because I wanted male.

1 black, 2 paint, and 3 blue cream (used to be called porcelain) round up her clutch.

Molly definitely got the broody genes from her great grandmother. That silkie hen would fight to get to any chicks she heard if she'd been broody more than a day. Molly only just turned a year old and this is the second batch of chicks for her. Because she's friendly and the most tolerant, when she went broody 5 days before hatch I grabbed her for the job. Moving to a new nest doesn't bother her.

20210602_214348.jpg

Good morning partridge silkie fans!
Just wanted some opinions on the coloring of this pretty girl. I picked her up as a three week old. I thought she was a silver partridge, but now as her adult feathers are coming in, I am not so sure. She is about three months old now.
She is mostly black now, but you can still see the partridge coloring in her wings and chest especially. 😊
Photos attached show her color change progression.
View attachment 2708108View attachment 2708109View attachment 2708107View attachment 2708106
2 silver partridge, & one Gold/Silver Split which would be a cockerel.

Thanks! They are all the same bird and it’s definitely a pullet. Was trying to demonstrate her color progression over time from the time I got her up until now at about three months of age.😊
Oh, okay. Looked like different birds, & colors.
It's a pullet.

Looks cross colored to me. The hens I've had that were from blue or black rooster crossed to partridge hens have looked like that.

If it is, breeding by a partridge rooster will give partridge (or close) and the leaky black mixed chicks. I've used black to add some genetic diversity and try and improve the black parts on my roosters.

Now pictures don't always give best color indication. And screens compound that. If there isn't a brown cast, it's not regular partridge.

It is possible it could be a dark silver. Very dark does happen in partridge. I have one hen that looks almost black until you get her in good light and then it's obvious she's partridge.
Thank you for your very thorough response! I appreciate it.🥰
She does have a slight tannish color cast to the Partridge. She came from a mixed flock, so only God knows who her parents are!🤣

Back
Top Bottom