Peachicks, Medications and Math

The actual eyeball looks okay, but when you look at it head on it looks like maybe that side of the face slightly swollen. Chick is half size it should be, so something is going on, but not sure what that is. Good news though... After days one of Corid it was up 10 grams. I meant to give it Baycox, but got lazy, lol.

-Kathy

This is a long shot but, do you have any wasp around? I had a chick that was stung a few weeks ago and it did the same. Just trying to help.

Gerald Barker

The left arrow is the sick chick, the right arrow is one that died. See how flat the line is? Something has been off with this chick for a long time.

-Kathy

Pfizer is helping to take some of the guesswork out of dosing Oxytetracycline HCI!

And guess what? It's wrong, lol. I just double checked that one yesterday... 22 tablespoons per package. Package makes 12.5 gallons at 800 mg, so it's 22/12.5 = 1.76 tablespoons per gallon, not 2.5. If the 800 mg dose were 2.5 tablespoons there would be 31.25 tablespoons, not just 22.
sad.png

10 grams = 10,000 mg - 10,000 mg / 800 mg = 12.5

Trust me, the mfg is wrong and I have contacted them about this, but can't seem to find the right person to talk to.

-Kathy

I was thinking we had it figured at five teaspoons per gallon, it surprized me to see 2 1/2 Tbs. I like your math better, that package doesn't make very many gallons. It should come in a bucket, not a packet, especially since it is suggested to be used seven to fourteen days.

I was thinking we had it figured at five teaspoons per gallon, it surprized me to see 2 1/2 Tbs. I like your math better, that package doesn't make very many gallons. It should come in a bucket, not a packet, especially since it is suggested to be used seven to fourteen days.
I'm not quite sure how they came up with amount... Maybe they measured it before packing it? Mike says that powders can get compacted once bagged and shipped, so who knows. My brand new bag has 22 tablespoons, and so did the new bags of two other BYC people.

When in doubt, weigh it... 800 mg of that powder = 14.52 grams
(181.5 / 12.5 = 14.52)

-Kathy

If you want oxytetracycine that will make more than 12.5 gallon, get this:
Oxytetracycline - 343

102.4 / 135.5 = 0.76 , which means that it's 76% oxytetracycline and 24% filler
760 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 760mg = 2280 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = slightly rounded 1/3 teaspoon

-Kathy

Last edited:
If you want oxytetracycine that will make more than 12.5 gallon, get this:
Oxytetracycline - 343

102.4 / 135.5 = 0.76 , which means that it's 76% oxytetracycline and 24% filler
760 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 760mg = 2280 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = slightly rounded 1/3 teaspoon

-Kathy

Thank you! I will order some right away. Maybe @AugeredIn would like to know about this too.

Back
Top Bottom