Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Pics
Charcoal peafowl have some bad traits such as blindness, sterile in the hens, shorten life span. The black plumage trait is the plus. I'm performing genetic research to learn if all these traits are on the same gene or not. If they're on the same gene then there's no hope for the Charcoal. If they are separate genes there's the possibility of outbreeding these problems. We can possibly out breed the bad genes by changing their environment. Nutrient supplements, hormonal therapy, getting new blood into them.
You ALWAYS need new blood to reproduce the Charcoal! ALWAYS need a blue peahen split Charcoal. There is not another mutation like that!

You ALWAYS need new blood to reproduce the Charcoal! ALWAYS need a blue peahen split Charcoal. There is not another mutation like that!

But most breeders will breed the Blue split to Charcoal hen back to their Charcoal father. What I mean by new blood is you take the blue split to Charcoal hen and breed to an unrelated Charcoal. Or breed to another IB male to and then try to learn which chicks are split to Charcoal and then breed to an unrelated Charcoal. Problem is we can't distinguish the difference based on phenotype from blues and blues split to Charcoal

I know this is irrelevant to the topic at hand but I was wondering if someone could help ID the color of my peafowl. I don't know exactly how old they are but they are from this year. The two older ones that I have look to be plain India blues, besides the fact that the peacock has some white on the first few of his primaries. The guy I bought the peach colored one from said she is a purple but I don't really know much about all the varieties. Any and all help will be appreciated.

The peacock

And the two peahens

Last edited:
Yes, she is purple, i see the purple hen has white primaries too which usually means split white, so this pair could produce white chicks in the future.

Yes, she is purple, i see the purple hen has white primaries too which usually means split white, so this pair could produce white chicks in the future.
Oh thank you! That would be pretty awesome if she had some white chicks. She's recently not been feeling the best it looks like. She's not as active as normal and has liquidy poop. I have her away from the other two and have wormed everyone. I wormed the other two a month or two ago but haven't wormed the purple hen yet because I just got her last Saturday. I also put some fry cat food in with her food to give her some extra protein but I have yet to see her eat it.

Its better for you to get an image of her poo and start a new thread to get help to save her, this other members will see your thread. Sometimes they stop eating for a day or two when they first move, but its better to be on the safe side here.

Okay, thanks I will try to get a picture of her poop tomorrow. She's looking like she's doing a bit better.

That purple peahen passed away last night. She looked a lot better when I fed and watered her yesterday at 8 but she still died anyways. I cleaned the other peafowl pen this morning and the other look fine still

They say :
"Purple male x Blue female = Blue split Purple males and Purple females
Purple female x Blue male = Blue split Purple males and Blue females

No female will ever be split to a sex-linked color, because they only need 1 copy to display the color. A female with the gene will always be the sex-linked color. I will use Purple again as my sex-linked color for an example."

Purple female x Blue male = Blue split Purple males and Blue females ... not correct !

With this cross ... Purple female x Blue male = Blue split Purple males and Blue females some females will be purple !
Female need only 1 copy to display the color . So, if there is NO female purple
it's because the Blue gene is dominant over the gene Purple?

Or ... only a gene Purple coming from a male can guarantee the color Purple to his daughters? .... not very logical!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom