Peck-O-Matic anyone tried this?

deeszoo

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
This is not an advertisement for this product

I saw an ad for this feeder on Craigslist, and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this? I have seen other trigger type feeders, but not one like this. I am pretty interested, as it seems like you could keep your food waste down, and give the birds something to do at the same time.

Right now we are using bowls, and it is such a waste. I have tried the hanging feeders, and they seem to pull about half of the feed out of those, too.

Thank you for any input!!

http://www.peckomatic.com/

Here is a link to the website, and there is a video of ducks using the product.

I made one from parts from one of those red/white gravity feeders. Works good. Less waste

Quote: I agree it a fair price at $20....
....but I have very little money so not going to pay $35 for something I can rig for $10 (my funnel cost).
Plus I like inventing/building thing myself.

Plus the way I cut the bottom of my bucket keeps any feed from landing on the floor, which was my main goal...and the capacity is fine for what I have now but will continue to research components and prototype my own devices.

After reading through this whole thread and seeing all the back and forth about the funnel got me to thinking.

I have a TriggerHappyChicken trigger feeder and like others I find that I have about 2" of feed left in the bucket when the feed stops dropping through the hole. I had occasionally given thought on solutions to the coneing of the feed in the bucket, but not too deep of thought.

So as I was reading these posts I had an Ah-ha moment. We all put the trigger hole in the center of the bucket but then have issues with the bucket not emptying without some type of funnel shape to the inside of the bucket.

OK, so what if we put the hole off center(actually near the edge/bucket side) and put a small kink in the bucket handle to hang the bucket slightly at an angle with the hole at the lowest point?

I know for my setup I would have to redo the feeder tray that hangs from the bucket but besides that issue so far I'm not seeing where there would be problems with it setup this way.

What do others think?

p.s. I'm thinking that the hole would have to be slightly away from the true side of the bucket so that the trigger doesn't get blocked/jammed by the side of the bucket.

Last edited:
I have a free hack to do the same thing. Get a free paint can opener, the one you can open a bottle with drill hole in bottom of bucket and drop opener in it big side up, paint the part that sticks out red. It will jiggle the food and allow it to drop down as they peck it. Likely have to experiment with hole size start small and go bigger until it works with your feed.

Gary

Haven't seen or heard of that one, thanks for the link. Looks like a neat set-up at a reasonable cost. Let us know if you decide to try it.

looks like it would be fun for the birds and good against mice perhaps, but I can't imagine it stopping rats.

Looks very similar to "trigger happy Chickens" feeder system. The difference I see is with trigger happy, you just get the trigger and build your own feeder. Mine is a 5gal pail with a hanging feeder tray similar to the setup seen here, but I'm sure mine was a lot less $$$ than buying one prebuilt.

http://triggerhappychickens.co.uk/

I've had mine for over a year now and love it, a full 5gal pail lasts 2weeks for my girls.

Back
Top Bottom