Pekin Duck Club!

My ducks are 28 weeks old. And geese that's 30 weeks old but no eggs. What an I doing wrong ? We are 3 weeks out of winter and it seems asif they starting to molt again for the second time. Once at the start of winter and now again 3 weeks after winter . Is this normal?

It does not sound that unusual to me. My ducks had their first molt at about 2.5 months, and since then, each duck is on her own schedule.
lol.png

As for laying, a few things can happen. One is that they can be hiding eggs, or a predator can be stealing them. Are they locked up tight? I don't know the kinds of predators you may have, but here, security is a huge issue. Raccoons, coyotes, fishers, foxes, skunks, hawks, eagles, owls, bobcats . . . . Another is nutrition. What do they get to eat?

Will male ducks adopt ducklings? I just got two pekin ducklings because I have two males and only one female so I bought them so I could possibly get more females but my female duck doesn't want anything to do with them and their following one of my males around like he's momma. Could it be because he's the only one not trying to run them off?

Will male ducks adopt ducklings? I just got two pekin ducklings because I have two males and only one female so I bought them so I could possibly get more females but my female duck doesn't want anything to do with them and their following one of my males around like he's momma. Could it be because he's the only one not trying to run them off?
I find your situation interesting. If he's good to them, then fine. However, I have read that the drakes are usually the ones who hate the little ones and I have read horror stories of drakes picking them up by their necks and shaking them around. Perhaps you have a gentle drake who will be nice to them. I would pay close attention and check on them regularly. Better safe than sorry.

My two new Jumbo Peking ducklings from McMurray Hatchery came in the mail the other day
celebrate.gif
Meet Bo-Khan and Abbey-Beak!

Abbey-Beak

Bo-Khan

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
My ducklings are a little over 2 months old. 1 of my female's wing is drooping down and lays low next to her body. I know it isn't hurt and she doesn't have angel wings. Any idea what could be going on and what I could do to fix it?

Hey everyone,
My ducklings are a little over 2 months old. 1 of my female's wing is drooping down and lays low next to her body. I know it isn't hurt and she doesn't have angel wings. Any idea what could be going on and what I could do to fix it?

Some ducks seem to go through a stage where their wings feel heavy - some have written about blood feathers coming in, if I recall.... So I would make sure they are getting good nutrition, fresh water and exercise, and watch for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom