Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

forgot to mention that this girl is a pullet at POL. She wasn't laying before we left, however was doing the submissive squat. I do know that atleast one of the welsummers are laying b/c we came home to a dark brown egg. Also found a broken? dark brown egg in a nesting box all rotten smelling, so something was going on in the boxes. Had to clean disinfect and add new bedding.

Yes, that is a prolapse. Gosh, my mind is going blank on what you are supposed to do. Push it back in (gently) but other than that and warm baths, I can't remember!
hugs.gif
Good luck!
Oh no. :(
I feel so bad. She looks so sore. Should it be feeling kinda firm like there could be an egg in there?
Can it be fixed or should she be culled now?

Oh no. :(
I feel so bad. She looks so sore. Should it be feeling kinda firm like there could be an egg in there?
Can it be fixed or should she be culled now?

I would definitely try to help her.
Being egg bound is a possibility. Poor thing. Massages and warm baths...
Do they have calcium/layer feed? A lack of calcium can cause these problems.

Was away for a week and had a friend do our chicken keeping. Arrived home last night and when I checked the chickens this morning, found one of the girls with a problem. Really needing your help to know what to do and what's going on with her. She keeps pumping her tail and her vent is moving up and down, but was covered with droppings. Her vent seems protruded and very red as well. Sat her in a dishpan of warm water to clean her up and figure out what is going on. I'm not sure, but it seems like I can maybe feel an egg right at her vent, but she can't pass it. I massaged her vent in water, but there is no opening for an egg to pass and it seems like the vent/cloaca is pushed out and extended very far.

Eggbound?
Prolapsed Uterus?
Something else?

Would appreciate your quick help asap!!
headed back out to massage her vent area again in warm water and hope for something to relieve her.

Oh, forgot to mention that she seems bright and normal, besides the tail pumping and irritation about being separated. She's walking around, making chicken noises, etc.

pics to help:

@ChickenCanoe

I would definitely try to help her.
Being egg bound is a possibility. Poor thing. Massages and warm baths...
Do they have calcium/layer feed? A lack of calcium can cause these problems.
They are on layer feed which should supply enough calcium, i thought. I have put in free choice oyster shell before but they rarely seem to touch it so didn't continue.

Thanks for trying to help.
Chickens shouldn't get me all worked up like this!

Last edited:
I was reading that I should try to massage the area and push everything back in. Also to use preparation H on the area. I don't have Prep H, but do have Dibucaine Ointment which is also an anesthetic hemorrhoid cream. Think that would be OK to use?

My only hesitation about pushing all back in is the possibility of an egg. Shouldn't I try to get the egg out somehow before pushing all back in?

I was going to tag you too, Chaos. I swear!
Why?

I was reading that I should try to massage the area and push everything back in. Also to use preparation H on the area. I don't have Prep H, but do have Dibucaine Ointment which is also an anesthetic hemorrhoid cream. Think that would be OK to use?

My only hesitation about pushing all back in is the possibility of an egg. Shouldn't I try to get the egg out somehow before pushing all back in?
I think any type of ointment with a pain reliever in it is not a good idea.

Was away for a week and had a friend do our chicken keeping. Arrived home last night and when I checked the chickens this morning, found one of the girls with a problem. Really needing your help to know what to do and what's going on with her. She keeps pumping her tail and her vent is moving up and down, but was covered with droppings. Her vent seems protruded and very red as well. Sat her in a dishpan of warm water to clean her up and figure out what is going on. I'm not sure, but it seems like I can maybe feel an egg right at her vent, but she can't pass it. I massaged her vent in water, but there is no opening for an egg to pass and it seems like the vent/cloaca is pushed out and extended very far.

Eggbound?
Prolapsed Uterus?
Something else?

Would appreciate your quick help asap!!
headed back out to massage her vent area again in warm water and hope for something to relieve her.

Oh, forgot to mention that she seems bright and normal, besides the tail pumping and irritation about being separated. She's walking around, making chicken noises, etc.

pics to help:

For an egg bound hen you can try this.
post #76317 of 116730

Back
Top Bottom