Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

heather! So sorry about your hen.

I will be.chucking watermelon to the chooks today and hosing down the pigs.. Tomorrow's supposed to be even worse.

No fox slippers for me yet. I have to get a Great Pyrenees, I just can not commit. Our youngest is coming up on a birthday. She asked for a cow, think I can give her a dog instead? She says 'a milk cow, not a beef cow, and get me a girl so she can have babies'. What she should be asking for is a BARN. We got no where to keep a cow. Cow's are a little out of our league just yet. Of course I'm thinking about how I may just be able to fit it in my car.... And once I get it home, we'll figure it out from there.

heather! So sorry about your hen.
I will be.chucking watermelon to the chooks today and hosing down the pigs.. Tomorrow's supposed to be even worse.
No fox slippers for me yet. I have to get a Great Pyrenees, I just can not commit. Our youngest is coming up on a birthday. She asked for a cow, think I can give her a dog instead? She says 'a milk cow, not a beef cow, and get me a girl so she can have babies'. What she should be asking for is a BARN. We got no where to keep a cow. Cow's are a little out of our league just yet. Of course I'm thinking about how I may just be able to fit it in my car.... And once I get it home, we'll figure it out from there.

Blarney...tell her a goat is just a mini cow!

This morning when I went out to let the chickens out, my Sebright hen was sitting in her favorite nest box. No surprise there...but in the box immediately above her was one of my 17 week old Red pullets! I believe this is the one my Leghorn cockerel was chasing the other day. I just went out to refill their water and I had an egg in each box! Yay! This one is about 3 weeks early!

Someone asked us how many eggs we will be getting once all the girls start producing...BF didn't believe me when I said 100 per week. I figure that's a conservative guess based on 25 hens. LOL His face was priceless. There were 8 people in my house when we decided on chickens...we were going through 3-4 dozen eggs a week. Now we're down to 3 people..and about a dozen 1/2 eggs...so I'm gonna have WAY too many eggs!

FLIES!!!
I hate them!!
How do you control them in your runs?
There was a link on the Michigan thread about this little trick...
Fill up zip style baggies about halfway, add a few pennies and hang up the bags here and there.
I have them in the big coop and the tent-coop and have very few flies. I'm not sure how it works, but it does work well enough that I also hung the water filled baggies around my patio. I've noticed a big reduction in the number of flies.
I'm in State College, althought that doesn't help you much Peeps.
Hello, State College. I'm originally from Huntingdon. Just down the road a bit.
I sure do miss my home state.

There was a link on the Michigan thread about this little trick...
Fill up zip style baggies about halfway, add a few pennies and hang up the bags here and there.
I have them in the big coop and the tent-coop and have very few flies. I'm not sure how it works, but it does work well enough that I also hung the water filled baggies around my patio. I've noticed a big reduction in the number of flies.
Hello, State College. I'm originally from Huntingdon. Just down the road a bit.
I sure do miss my home state.

thanks for the tip! I will give this a try.

Hey y'all. I am looking to add another breed or two. I am thinking of bantam ameraucana as one of them. Anyone have eggs?

What is another really nice bantam? Cochins? What else?

Sorry I failed to list the ingredients of my feed...just moved/opened the bag, so took the tag off.

Ingredients: Ground Yellow Corn, Wheat Middlings, Ground Oats, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, A Acetate in Gelatin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Vitamin B-12, Menadoionine Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfate (source of Vitamin K), Chlorine Chloride, Maganous Oxide, Copper Oxide, Ethyldiamine Dihydrodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, and Salt.

Analysis:

Minimum Crude Protein 20%
Minimum Crude Fat 4.5%
Maximum Crude Fiber 4.5%

Back
Top Bottom