People Who Love Pie

Quote:
I love eating pies and making pies but I struggle with making the crust. I am very particular about wanting a flaky crust and can't quite achieve it.

Oh crust is where I am AT! What you must have is an all-butter shortcrust or pate brisee. No frills or other fats. Nothing else works as well, in my mind!

Here's the base of all my pies, I just change the stuff (whole wheat? cheese? Herbs?) within this crust:

http://www.pastrychefonline.com/pate_brisee.html

The salt/sugar are even optional for me depending on my use.

But my husband looooves this crust so much I've caught him rolling out my pre-made frozen stuff (I do bulk) and baking it up with raw sugar so he can eat it by itself!!

Edit: I should mention the trick is also application. Don't overwork the dough and try to work it all in the same direction to create streaks of butter in the crust. And keep it as cold as possible before baking, maybe even chilling for half an hour beforehand. All makes it super flakey!!

Oh, you are my hero! Mind racing now...what pie shall I make tonight????? Possibly Western Slope Peach...our Colorado peaches are very famous and I've got a few home canned jars left. I love them in a pie with cheddar, similar recipe to the apple one mentioned today.

I love pie, especially loved my grandmother's raspberry pie but my Mom makes a mean one too. She lives 1700 miles away and last time I was home she had one in the freezer but wouldn't give me any cuz my older brother was coming home later. The GOOD offspring. I went around town eating pie at all the cafes and telling her about it. I'm 52.

I have homecanned blueberry pie filling....and lots of canned peaches, pears, and other frozen berries. But most recently I've made homemade pumpkin pie and pecan pie.....since those are what's in season here.

Recipe here: Fresh Pumpkin Pie

recipe_pumpkinpie.jpg

Recipe here: Southern Pecan Pie

recipesopecanpie.jpg

I just grabbed some apple pie to eat before coming on BYC, so I'm eating it right now! I love pie, it's so delicious.
droolin.gif
Apple is my favorite, but I love a lot of other types of pie, too!

I make a basic apple pie but I squirt caramel ice cream topping in the bottom of the crust and sprinkle walnuts on it. Put a layer of apples, a sprinkle of cinnamon. Repeat layers until the crust is full. Top as desired.

I like to make a streusel topping of
1/3 c butter
1/3 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c flour

mix with fingers til crumbly and top the pie.

Bake as usual.

Serve with vanilla bean icecream and more caramel topping.

Custard Pie Recipe - my Grandmother's recipe, from at least the 1920's:

3 eggs, or 6 egg yokes (6 yokes are almost too rich for me)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tspn salt
1/4 tspn nutmeg
1/2 tspn vanilla
2 cups milk (recipe calls for scalded milk, but in our modern days scalding makes no difference to this recipe)
plain unbaked pastry to fill 9" pie plate

Preheat oven to 450*. Beat eggs slightly, then combine with all ingrediants. Pour into pastry/pie plate. Bake at 450* for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325* for at least 25 minutes. Test with knife in center of pie. When knife comes back clean, remove pie to cool. I don't know if it's my oven or what but, it always takes my pies longer than 25 minutes to bake at 325*. Refrigerate to serve cold. If you like cold pizza for breakfast, you'll like cold custard pie for breakfast, too! Sometimes we call it "Holiday Quiche".

Back
Top Bottom