Pheasant Breeders in Oregon?

Just because a bird can survive in such a setting, it does not mean that is the most ideal setting. They definitely should not be housed together since the chances of them getting sick goes up since they have contact with chicken feces, which would be the case with what MedicalPrepper inquired about. I am not sure what pheasant species you have but when you start raising pheasants and have some expensive, rare ones that are hard enough to raise, you should not be taking the risk housing them next to chickens. That is how I am, so I no longer have any chickens since I did not want my ornamental birds getting sick from them.
I have raised reeves,lady Amherst , melanistick,ringnecks and whites. Not the most expensive breeds and if I had the amounts or breeds you keep I certainly would keep them away from chickens just to be on the safe side but from my experience they are fine. Allso arn't chickens decended from jungle fowl. And arn't jungle fowl a type of pheasant?

Last edited:
Thank you, quackers57, for confirming what I already suspected to be the case.

In my case, on my homestead way out in the boonies, I'm interested in raising birds primarily for the table... but it'd be fun and entertaining to have some ornamentals in the flock. If the experiment is ultimately unsuccessful, it will neither break my bank nor my heart... but now I'm encouraged to at least consider the possibility.
good luck

Just because a bird can survive in such a setting, it does not mean that is the most ideal setting. They definitely should not be housed together since the chances of them getting sick goes up since they have contact with chicken feces, which would be the case with what MedicalPrepper inquired about. I am not sure what pheasant species you have but when you start raising pheasants and have some expensive, rare ones that are hard enough to raise, you should not be taking the risk housing them next to chickens. That is how I am, so I no longer have any chickens since I did not want my ornamental birds getting sick from them.
I have raised reeves,lady Amherst , melanistick,ringnecks and whites. Not the most expensive breeds and if I had the amounts or breeds you keep I certainly would keep them away from chickens just to be on the safe side but from my experience they are fine. Allso arn't chickens decended from jungle fowl. And arn't jungle fowl a type of pheasant?

I know chickens are descendants of Jungle Fowl but that is all I am aware of. Jungle Fowl are more like pheasants and are striking birds. I am not a Jungle Fowl expert by any means so I cannot comment much on them.

Hey its me again, so now that I'm moved into my new place I can now start building the aviary. I was wondering if a 8'X18' run would be large enough for a pair of lady Amherst pheasants.

Yes, that size pen will suffice for a pair of Lady Amherst Pheasants. The more cover you can add in the pen the better. Not only will it add to the visual appeal, the birds will feel more comfortable in the pen. Plus it provides cover for the hen to get away from the male.

Okay. Thanks for responding. I think I'm going to Bend this weekend to buy a pair of Lady Amherst and a pair of Goldens. I will have two separate runs of the same size for both pairs. I believe the breeder said that they were five months old if I remember correctly. At what age should they start breeding and when should the hens lay and go broody? What time of year do they go broody? Do I let the hen care for the babies? Do the pheasants need heat lamps during the winter? Lots of questions sorry...

The hens can lay when they are one year old, but the males are not colored at one year of age. It takes until two years for them to be able to breed successfully. They lay and go broody in the spring time to early summer. I have let my hens raise their babies, but the chicks are small so it would be best to separate the hen with her chicks just for the safety of the chicks. Ruffed pheasants are cold hardy and do not need a heat lamp. They are perfectly content with a shelter to get out of the elements.

The hens will likely lay spring of 2016, but the males won't be colored up until 2017. Their breeding season it during the spring/early summer. The males are quite showy birds, so you will get to enjoy their displaying for much longer than just breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom