Pheasant Breeders in Oregon?

No they likely will not be fertile next year. The only way to get fertile eggs would be putting the hen with a mature male. Since your male would only be one next year, he will not be ready to breed. At two years of age he will be in full breeding plumage and capable of fertilizing eggs. And yes, a chicken style best box will work. My ruffed pheasant hens are very accepting of nest boxes whether they are on the ground, mid level, or a few feet off of the ground.

Last edited:
Congrats! How tame they are depends on a few factors. The major factors that play into this are how the birds are when you get them and how much time you put into them. I have purchased very wild tragopans that have tamed down readily, but tragopans are a calm species. Ruffed pheasants do not tame down as easily from my experiences.

Okay. So if they're Wild would the best way to tame them down would be to give em lots of treats and spend lots of time with them? Like chickens. What kind of treats do they like?

Last edited:
Yes that would be the way to tame them down. Any fruits will get their attention; mine especially love watermelon. If you get some wild bird seed they would enjoy that. Fresh greens are also something you can offer them. In moderation, you could give some mealworms as well.

Do you have any experience with pheasants? Of the breeds you have narrowed your search down to, I have Lady Amherst and Grey Peacock Pheasants. Lady Amhersts (along with Golden Pheasants) are a good ornamental pheasant beginner bird as they are easy to raise. Grey Peacock Pheasants will require winter protection, although they are the hardiest of all the peacock pheasants (the other species require heat). This was my first year breeding them and I did well with them; however, I have had Lady Amherst and other species before attempting Grey Peacock Pheasants. They are all nice birds, but if you are just into pheasants the Lady Amherst is the way to go. Make sure you find a reputable source with pure ones as there are many hybrids out there unfortunately. In Oregon there is Ken Kroener with all of the species you are interested in plus others. Contact me for his info. @Tony K T will be able to help you out more.
Hi Tony, I'm also looking to pheasants in Oregon. Can I please get some info on who and where to buy them. Thank you, heres my email: [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom