Pheasant eggs?

Pheasant eggs are a different ball game....they are less forgiving on shipping, they just don't ship well at all.
Most of what you find on the internet about incubating pheasant eggs is outdated or down right wrong.
No matter the challenge once I find a reliable source to get enough eggs to fill my incubator im gonna fill and fire it up. Funny how everyone seems to discourage through trial and error ive managed to hatch and raise thousands of chickens and qaul over the last decade. I'm sure hatching out and growing out a batch of pheasants to release on my family farm would be rewarding enough to be worth the trial and error involved. Shipping is hard on all kinds of eggs ive noticed. Even with my own eggs I have much better hatch rates on eggs that were not given shaken baby syndrome or forced to deal with crazy temperature fluctuations. I hatched 117 out of 120 quail eggs last round when I hatched quail a few years ago then I shipped the same eggs from the same qual to someone a few days later and they had only about 60 percent hatch. Using the same set up and done properly by a competent person. I think what I will do is go with a large hatchery nearest to me I can find and order the eggs. But before I bother with that today I fill my incubator with 41 chicken eggs. I am way excited to hatch out the mix of chicken eggs that will be delivered to me today. I've wanted these black copper marans for years and today I start them along with a mix of some other cool blue and splash breeds and some pure wyandottes that I've always had and loved. And now a new strain. Happy happy happy today. But for real im doing pheasants next and I think I may get back into quail soon after a few years of not having them.

Hi there!
I am looking for a good place to buy ringneck pheasant eggs. Does anybody know of any good sources? I've seen Stromberg's has some but at a relatively high price. So far I've landed on Harding Gamebird Farm. They seem to have great prices and look reputable. This will be my first time hatching pheasants so any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Most of the large hatcheries offer ringneck but have large minimums on their orders. Sometimes your local feed store can arrange order and set aside smaller portion for you. (That’s how I got my first chicks). Looking back, I prefer melanistic because you can tell gender way earlier

No matter the challenge once I find a reliable source to get enough eggs to fill my incubator im gonna fill and fire it up. Funny how everyone seems to discourage through trial and error ive managed to hatch and raise thousands of chickens and qaul over the last decade. I'm sure hatching out and growing out a batch of pheasants to release on my family farm would be rewarding enough to be worth the trial and error involved. Shipping is hard on all kinds of eggs ive noticed. Even with my own eggs I have much better hatch rates on eggs that were not given shaken baby syndrome or forced to deal with crazy temperature fluctuations. I hatched 117 out of 120 quail eggs last round when I hatched quail a few years ago then I shipped the same eggs from the same qual to someone a few days later and they had only about 60 percent hatch. Using the same set up and done properly by a competent person. I think what I will do is go with a large hatchery nearest to me I can find and order the eggs. But before I bother with that today I fill my incubator with 41 chicken eggs. I am way excited to hatch out the mix of chicken eggs that will be delivered to me today. I've wanted these black copper marans for years and today I start them along with a mix of some other cool blue and splash breeds and some pure wyandottes that I've always had and loved. And now a new strain. Happy happy happy today. But for real im doing pheasants next and I think I may get back into quail soon after a few years of not having them.
I'm not wanting to keep pheasants and gather eggs from them I just want to hatch a big load grow them out then release them all in my yard. My yard is about 400 acres of woods fence rows fields and even swampy switch grass areas with plenty of habitat for then to thrive in. I used to see them from time to time when I hunted deer years ago same with quail. I never see them anymore. I was going to try and make an effort to fix that and put it back how it used to be. They are an amazing thing to watch it be wild. I miss seeing them around. Now all I see is occasionally a bunch of turkeys thanks to my uncle releasing them about 10 to 15 years ago. They are multiplying and doing well in the area im gonna add the pheasants and quail back and hope for the same.

Most of the large hatcheries offer ringneck but have large minimums on their orders. Sometimes your local feed store can arrange order and set aside smaller portion for you. (That’s how I got my first chicks). Looking back, I prefer melanistic because you can tell gender way earlier
Actually I think tractor supply may possibly be able to do that. Great idea then I can skip hatching and start with chicks. I dont care about male or female they all will be released the same as long as there are both then I can get more than my incubator could hold also. 1 large batch. Awesome.

I'm not wanting to keep pheasants and gather eggs from them I just want to hatch a big load grow them out then release them all in my yard. My yard is about 400 acres of woods fence rows fields and even swampy switch grass areas with plenty of habitat for then to thrive in. I used to see them from time to time when I hunted deer years ago same with quail. I never see them anymore. I was going to try and make an effort to fix that and put it back how it used to be. They are an amazing thing to watch it be wild. I miss seeing them around. Now all I see is occasionally a bunch of turkeys thanks to my uncle releasing them about 10 to 15 years ago. They are multiplying and doing well in the area im gonna add the pheasants and quail back and hope for the same.
Same here! Ive got about 400 acres too but of mostly grassland with a large chunk of thick aspen groves and some pines here and there. I used to see lots of pheasants - still see chukar, huns, and quail - but I'm going to try and establish a population that will hopefully be large and strong enough to hunt in the future (or just look at:D 😂).

So after looking at prices and seeking fantastic advice from all of you on BYC, my best option will be to buy some adult pheasants locally, and hatch and raise their eggs. The price will even out between the price of the adult birds and the price of 60+ eggs, however, I won't have to worry about the cost and risk of shipping. I can't wait to get them!

So after looking at prices and seeking fantastic advice from all of you on BYC, my best option will be to buy some adult pheasants locally, and hatch and raise their eggs. The price will even out between the price of the adult birds and the price of 60+ eggs, however, I won't have to worry about the cost and risk of shipping. I can't wait to get them!
Ringnecked pheasant hens will lay about 25 to 35 eggs/breeding season, some hens may lay a few more but that's the average, so figure your breeding stock accordingly. Also, 1 male for 5 to 6 hens works the best for me, eventhough, a male pheasant can handle 10 hens with ease.

Is no one going to bring up the legality of releasing domestically raised birds back into the wild? Let's ignore the fact that AI is a thing at the moment, but you have to raise them in a certain manner for release programs to be effective. Not to mention you have to have permits and all that jazz. I know the university I work at is involved in a quail release program. It's not as simple as raising the birds and just opening the door to the pen.

https://www.tamuc.edu/projects/quail/

1650905192326.png

Is no one going to bring up the legality of releasing domestically raised birds back into the wild? Let's ignore the fact that AI is a thing at the moment, but you have to raise them in a certain manner for release programs to be effective. Not to mention you have to have permits and all that jazz. I know the university I work at is involved in a quail release program. It's not as simple as raising the birds and just opening the door to the pen.

https://www.tamuc.edu/projects/quail/

View attachment 3078593
Indeed it is not as simple as opening the door. Trust me before I spend all this money on raising all these pheasants I researched the matter extensively :lau . Actually, kind of neat, my state has an extensive pheasant release program that releases thousands of birds every year!

Back
Top Bottom