Look what I got!! Lol

Well then it looks like I will be needing to build another pen🥲 my peacocks get along fine with the chickens and roosters but everyone has always free roam during the day. Only reason the peacocks are now getting penned is because a neighbor said he was going to shoot them🤬 no joke! No they don’t go on his property etc the guy is just an ass. (The whole family is) if they can’t control you then they will threaten you. It’s a ((( Mormon thing here))) I’m not Mormon lol I live in a tiny tiny town most are great but you know there are always the asses. So I just finishing building a HUGE pen for them. Chickens still free roam during the day. Do you know the size/specs I will be needing for her? And yes I will try to find a mate for even another female for her. So something big enough for a few
An 8 x16 x 6 enclosure would work fine for a couple or a trio of pheasants.

An 8 x16 x 6 enclosure would work fine for a couple or a trio of pheasants.
Awesome thank you so much. I’m reading as much as I can on them as this is a bird I have never had. I will gladly take all the advice I can get to give her the best I can. She found me for a reason (yes I believe in that kind of thing) so I want to do what’s right by her

Awesome thank you so much. I’m reading as much as I can on them as this is a bird I have never had. I will gladly take all the advice I can get to give her the best I can. She found me for a reason (yes I believe in that kind of thing) so I want to do what’s right by her
A proper enclosure, well landscaped, proper feed ration, clean water and protection from the elements and predators goes a long way to keeping birds happy.
Be careful of what you read on the net, some of it is good and most is down right harmful.

A proper enclosure, well landscaped, proper feed ration, clean water and protection from the elements and predators goes a long way to keeping birds happy.
Yes it does♥️ I hadn’t found online the suggested size of pen for one.. do they roost or prefer to have hiding boxes I did look at types of plants they like to forge in and hide and was planning on getting some of those grasses etc

So I was finishing working on a new coop build turned and this lil girl came walking up to me 😮 wasn’t sure what it was looked kinda like a pigeon but not the tail anyway reached down and she kinda spooked that’s when I saw she has a boo boo on her bum area so I caught her (wasn’t hard ) not sure if she was just really tired or what. Brought her in food water good look over she seems fine other then the missing feathers on her bum area. Put her in a big metal dog cage to keep her inside to keep an eye on her did research and found out she is a

(Melanistic Mutant Pheasant 😃❤️)​

Then last night she laid an egg 😃😃🤣 I know very little about Pheasants but studying fast now. She is starting to trust me (I spend A LOT of time with newbies) so they learn not to be afraid.
This lil pic and video are not the best only buy will get better pics prob tonight. Looking forward to this new family member fitting in ♥️ Will welcome all advice from knowledgeable people here
She looks more like a peacock to my eyes. I have had pheasants and chuckars that I raised for dog training and that head and eye don't look like a pheasant at all. If it is a pheasant, they don't do well in confined areas and will be very wild around people. They will panic easily and they don't gentle like chickens do. Pheasants often hit posts and die from the collision. Not a good pet bird.

Yes it does♥️ I hadn’t found online the suggested size of pen for one.. do they roost or prefer to have hiding boxes I did look at types of plants they like to forge in and hide and was planning on getting some of those grasses etc
They will occasionally get on a perch, as far as roosting, most of the time they roost on the ground. So, it's imperative to have wire siding that predators can't reach through and grab your birds. Either 1/2" HC or 1/2" x 1" welded wire, at least 3 feet up the sides.

UPDATE 😂 she has started laying eggs😮😀😂🤣 she has laid 3 so far. I’m not sure if she is laying a clutch or just laying eggs. Lol I’m letting her keep them and we will see where this goes

Attachments

• DBC9C4B8-DFD9-4972-A602-4DBB8C30E3BD.jpeg
    DBC9C4B8-DFD9-4972-A602-4DBB8C30E3BD.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2
UPDATE 😂 she has started laying eggs😮😀😂🤣 she has laid 3 so far. I’m not sure if she is laying a clutch or just laying eggs. Lol I’m letting her keep them and we will see where this goes
Where are you located? I’ve never had a ringneck go broody…..im too far south??
I would be tempted to put them in an incubator though 🙈🙈🙈

I’m in (hell 😂 Utah but moving soon) she laid 5 eggs in total and she was pretty healed up from her injury so I let her go on my property as honestly didn’t know what else to do with her. Hated seeing her cooped up she stuck around the entire day but sadly haven’t seen her sense. Anyway I have a chicken that just went broody a few days ago so I put the eggs under her 😂 will candle them in about 10 days doubt they are fertile but hoping only issue is my chickens eggs hatch at 21 days and from what I’m reading a pheasants are at 25 I think. But I will cross that bridge once we are there. Fingers crossed we have a few fertile ones

Just re-reading this post, cause I got an alert, anyhow, I'm further South than you are muddy and I've had a ringnecked hen go broody and actually hatch out 8 chicks....I don't think :confused: location has as much to do with them going 'broody' but more of a matter of environment/habitat!

Back
Top Bottom