Pheasant Chicken Hybrids

Pics
I never reply to many posts, but after reading most of what s being done by cross breeding different species I can't figure out why for any reason. I have been raising Pheasants for over 40 years and find it harder and harder to find pure birds. I do it as a hobby because I have always just enjoyed working with them and watching them. I sell most all of the birds I raise and want the people to have as good of quality as I can. I'm down to only a few different breeds ( golden, yellow golden, reeves and silver ). I'm not preaching what anyone else should do it up to them, but look what the people did with the pea foul. Way to many cross's, if they were dogs they would all be mutts. Just something to thing about if you try to cross anything that's not done in nature.

Totally agree with you Tim

Here is a pic of that mutant:

Those who are purists, dedicated to preserving species, don't really 'belong' in the same conversation with breed enthusiasts; not trying to tell anyone to get out of any conversation of course (lol at that) just meaning it in the sense that those are two worlds that don't really overlap, there's precious little in common and much in direct antagonism or conflict with the other group. That's two groups that will almost certainly never see eye to eye on even half of all subjects discussed as pertaining to breeding.
I agree. And it would be good if both groups are separate in the bird breeding world too, but they don't. You'll always have the occasional "hybridist" coming to the "purist" for birds to start their next hybrid project
sad.png

I am right there beside you Timbuck.I have tried to preach purity on here and it is just a waste of time.At least my birds will remain pure.
In N.H.,Tony.

Like what chooks4life said, it's not a waste of time. I think awareness is important and I you do a good job conveying it. Although it'll be up to him, Vasili appears to understand the situation of the galliformes in the hobby.

I didnt know exotic pheasants were having such a hard time, especially when I noticed people selling them on here for prices comparable to chickens.
The exotic pheasants you see people selling for prices comparable to chickens are most likely hybrids. The actual pure species (depending on the species) are hard to get and are most likely more expensive. Since you say you are new to keeping pheasants, or anyone for that matter, I don't think it's a bad idea to keep hybrids. Should you become a purist, they are a good starting experience to hone your skills. It's a waste for someone who is true to keeping a species pure but lacks the experience and skills to keep it alive (referring to the more sensitive pheasant species).

Last edited:
I have a golden red pheasant breeding pair and a golden yellow rooster (have to locate a hen). They look identical to the photos of those birds online. Apart from the mutant, the rooster and two hens look identical to the Chinese ringneck images online. How can I tell if they arent "pure"? I bought the goldens from a young guy near me that had goldens for 4H and then decided to breed them and sell some. The others came from a guy near Joliet who had hundreds on his farm.

I am no expert and have never kept golden pheasants and so I do not know the specific feathering details. You can try putting in a clear and close-shot photo so we can see which feather details are not consistent with a pure specimen. Tony K T and other experts would have to provide the input. I'm curious to learn myself.

I agree. And it would be good if both groups are separate in the bird breeding world too, but they don't. You'll always have the occasional "hybridist" coming to the "purist" for birds to start their next hybrid project
sad.png
Certainly agree with this, as well as the rest of your post. At least most purists are pretty well versed at spotting the dabblers in the craft, at least.

I have a golden red pheasant breeding pair and a golden yellow rooster (have to locate a hen). They look identical to the photos of those birds online. Apart from the mutant, the rooster and two hens look identical to the Chinese ringneck images online. How can I tell if they arent "pure"? I bought the goldens from a young guy near me that had goldens for 4H and then decided to breed them and sell some. The others came from a guy near Joliet who had hundreds on his farm.
Agree with Ntsees response again, that's one for the experts to assist with. Perhaps a better thread for it though would be a new one or an already existing one. Or another forum entirely. There are some more serious and devoted forums out there.

Best wishes.

I personally find hybrids that are sterile completely fascinating! Guinea x chicken, Peafowl x Guinea, Chicken X Pheasant etc. The fact that it is even possible at all is amazing. I think if you have common species and they produce sterile hybrids what is the harm? I mean they cannot breed on and pollute either parent species can they. One the other hand I'm not into fertile hybrids like Golden x Amherst, that has the potential to destroy both species eventually.

I find Vasili's post a bit confusing. Is he asking about Ringneck pheasants or Goldens?
The mutant he shows appears to be a melanistic mutant. That is a dominant mutation for extra melanin and the bird looks to be a pure ringneck. The mutant name should not be used without the melanistic word used as well.
To find "pure" ringnecks is pretty well impossible. Many many races and subspecies of Phasianus colchicus have been brought into North America and they have all been crossed together over time. I used to be director of a large pheasant production facility in Canada and just for interest I used to choose day-old chicks based on down color and markings. That way I could develop pure-looking Formosans, Blacknecks, etc...
Phasianus versicolor is the only species of the "ringneck" group that is not perfectly interfertile with other Phasianus species.
We had an albino "ringneck" once and when mated back to her normal-looking son she produced more albinos. They were useless as they were almost blind, but still interesting. As I recall it was a sex-linked mutation. Like albinos and lutinos in budgies.

I agree.  And it would be good if both groups are separate in the bird breeding world too, but they don't.  You'll always have the occasional "hybridist" coming to the "purist" for birds to start their next hybrid project :( ..

I Certainly agree with you Ntsees on keeping them seperat , the art of purity is two birds in the hand, at minimum. On the other hand the act of forced mating is potential harm to self-sufficiency

I find Vasili's post a bit confusing. Is he asking about Ringneck pheasants or Goldens?
My interpretation is that he was asking about breeding ringnecks to chickens and then he went on to talk about the goldens.

To find "pure" ringnecks is pretty well impossible. Many many races and subspecies of Phasianus colchicus have been brought into North America and they have all been crossed together over time. I used to be director of a large pheasant production facility in Canada and just for interest I used to choose day-old chicks based on down color and markings. That way I could develop pure-looking Formosans, Blacknecks, etc...
If you're referring to finding pure wild populations in the U.S., I would agree since it's known that the ringneck subsubspecies have crossed like you say. But in the hobby here in the U.S., there appears to be some that are kept true to the subspecies. I wouldn't say it's impossible to get these, but probably very difficult (I don't know, I've never asked because I'm not into the ringneck subspecies) due the few individuals keeping them coupled with the assumed low number of eggs produced each year (compared to the farm-raised/hunting ringnecks). I'm sure you've come across this webpage before: http://www.vowersweimaraners.com/true_pheasants_-_phasianus

And then you have places like MacFarlene Pheasants (https://www.pheasant.com/aboutus/successstories/puremanchuriansfromchina.aspx) who claims to have imported pure manchurian pheasants and are kept to cross with the mixed ringnecks for hunting purposes. I am not an expert in the ringneck subspecies and so I do not know if the birds shown are actually the subspecies, but the description of their birds (size, egg laying, and habits) seem consistent with that of a wild bird. I understand their concept of protecting their investment, but it's a bad idea from a conservation point of view if those birds were to be lost.

Back
Top Bottom