Pheasant Chicken Hybrids

Pics
Could I try and cross my pheasant roosters with chicken hens? If so I could use the Chinese ringneck, melanistic mutant, golden red and golden yellow roosters I have, plus I could still breed them with their pheasant hens this spring and not have to waste those hens on a theory.

I never reply to many posts, but after reading most of what s being done by cross breeding different species I can't figure out why for any reason. I have been raising Pheasants for over 40 years and find it harder and harder to find pure birds. I do it as a hobby because I have always just enjoyed working with them and watching them. I sell most all of the birds I raise and want the people to have as good of quality as I can. I'm down to only a few different breeds ( golden, yellow golden, reeves and silver ). I'm not preaching what anyone else should do it up to them, but look what the people did with the pea foul. Way to many cross's, if they were dogs they would all be mutts. Just something to thing about if you try to cross anything that's not done in nature.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.I bit my tongue off.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thought you might. Would be more productive though if you continued your efforts to educate people about what species are in what state of dire straits.

Pheasants are easier to come by than decent information about them, speaking from a backyard breeder level of interest rather than a true enthusiast. Most people don't have any clue how serious the situation with rare pheasants is, and either remaining silent or raging at them does nothing to help their cause.

Still, better to remain silent than be uncivil if it's something you're too angry about to be able to discuss calmly. Sometimes silence is wiser.

I don't see any problem with using common and adulterated pheasant strains or species for hybridizing attempts, though I know you're somewhat of a purist even when discussing mongrel pheasants which are already hybrids themselves... But I'm sure you could sway many to your point of view if you took the time.

Not many people actually decide they just flat-out want to be irresponsible genetic stewards, the more they know the more responsible they tend to become.

Best wishes.

Could I try and cross my pheasant roosters with chicken hens? If so I could use the Chinese ringneck, melanistic mutant, golden red and golden yellow roosters I have, plus I could still breed them with their pheasant hens this spring and not have to waste those hens on a theory.

You can try of course, but it's fairly likely nothing will eventuate. Always good not to fail to pass on good genes with their own kind too, even if you're already talking about hybrid or very inbred, mutant pheasant types. Best wishes with it.

I never reply to many posts, but after reading most of what s being done by cross breeding different species I can't figure out why for any reason. I have been raising Pheasants for over 40 years and find it harder and harder to find pure birds. I do it as a hobby because I have always just enjoyed working with them and watching them. I sell most all of the birds I raise and want the people to have as good of quality as I can. I'm down to only a few different breeds ( golden, yellow golden, reeves and silver ). I'm not preaching what anyone else should do it up to them, but look what the people did with the pea foul. Way to many cross's, if they were dogs they would all be mutts. Just something to thing about if you try to cross anything that's not done in nature.

Well, at the unpredictable risk of offending, I understand your point of view, but also the view of those keen on hybrids as well... To me it's like talking about pug breeds of any species but especially dogs, or overo/similar horses, or dwarf rabbits, or Frizzle type chooks, or Sebastopol or crested ducks or geese (have I covered enough of a broad base of people to potentially offend there yet?) lol....

All these animal types have serious defects due to the type of mutations they're bred for, most of those also have some degree of lethal traits; technically it's both irresponsible from a genetic stewardship viewpoint, and unethical from a humane viewpoint, to continue to breed such mutations. Yet we do. That's not about to change. We just have to live and let live, even if we don't understand or condone it.

Those who are purists, dedicated to preserving species, don't really 'belong' in the same conversation with breed enthusiasts; not trying to tell anyone to get out of any conversation of course (lol at that) just meaning it in the sense that those are two worlds that don't really overlap, there's precious little in common and much in direct antagonism or conflict with the other group. That's two groups that will almost certainly never see eye to eye on even half of all subjects discussed as pertaining to breeding.

In order to serve your hobby or passion better, educating others on what pheasant species are most common or what types aren't suitable for species preservation (i.e. those with serious faults) would probably go much further than flat out disapproval of the subject of hybridizing as a whole.

Best wishes.

I didnt know exotic pheasants were having such a hard time, especially when I noticed people selling them on here for prices comparable to chickens.

I dont have a mutant pheasant by choice. I purchased what I thought were 4 straight run juvenile pheasants from a breeder near Joliet, IL. The eye patches indicated early on that I had two males and two females. Then feathers started getting more colorful. At this point. I noticed something especially strange about one of the males; it had no white ring around the neck, it was purple on its breast where it shoudlve been brown and was green practically everywhere else. My friends that have visited all asked the same question,"what do you have there, a peacock?"

Should I just not allow it to breed?

I'm not going to take offense to posts on here. I accept the fact that I am new to raising pheasants. And since I am new to raising pheasants I dont want to waste any of my hens on hybridizing as I only have a few in the first place.

I didnt know exotic pheasants were having such a hard time, especially when I noticed people selling them on here for prices comparable to chickens.

I dont have a mutant pheasant by choice. I purchased what I thought were 4 straight run juvenile pheasants from a breeder near Joliet, IL. The eye patches indicated early on that I had two males and two females. Then feathers started getting more colorful. At this point. I noticed something especially strange about one of the males; it had no white ring around the neck, it was purple on its breast where it shoudlve been brown and was green practically everywhere else. My friends that have visited all asked the same question,"what do you have there, a peacock?"

Should I just not allow it to breed?

I'm not going to take offense to posts on here. I accept the fact that I am new to raising pheasants. And since I am new to raising pheasants I dont want to waste any of my hens on hybridizing as I only have a few in the first place.

Any hybrid offspring will be sterile like a mule . Mutant ring neck colors are common . As far as breeding the mutant that is a personal choice . Ring necks are in no danger . The mutant would be a good choice for hybrids . Your other ring necks could be left to breed together .

Any hybrid offspring will be sterile like a mule . Mutant ring neck colors are common . As far as breeding the mutant that is a personal choice . Ring necks are in no danger . The mutant would be a good choice for hybrids . Your other ring necks could be left to breed together .

Quote:

Though the species produce fertile hybrids wherever they coexist, this is simply a typical feature among fowl (Galloanseres), in which postzygotic isolating mechanisms are slight compared to most other birds.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_pheasant

Yep, that's from Wikipedia, but it's also common knowledge on more reputable sites as well.

Lots of fertile hybrids out there. Even the oft-cited mules are sometimes fertile. You can even get the occasional fertile goat-sheep hybrid, they're used in scientific studies even though the nonscientific world remains convinced they're a myth.

Agree, Ringnecks are in no danger. Personally I like the look of the meat-bred ones myself, wouldn't mind keeping them, and of course hybridizing with them is no risk to the species.

Best wishes.

I am right there beside you Timbuck.I have tried to preach purity on here and it is just a waste of time.At least my birds will remain pure.
In N.H.,Tony.

I am right there beside you Timbuck.I have tried to preach purity on here and it is just a waste of time.At least my birds will remain pure.
In N.H.,Tony.

It's not a waste of time, I've learned a lot from reading your posts. Didn't sway my opinion on hybridizing common pheasants but certainly helped make me aware of the general plight of pheasants in general, and the seriousness of using rare kinds.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom