Pheasant Chicken Hybrids

Pics
So here they are at 6 weeks.

The feathers on their backs have a purple sheen, but the camera doesn't capture it.

And a little bit of sad news, a snake climbed up on my back deck, past my dog, and up into their cage and killed one of them. I still have three ... one is several weeks younger than the rest. I don't usually kill snakes, I've even grabbed them when gathering eggs,
ep.gif
and usually I just relocate them, but this one didn't make it out alive.

I wonder what the chemical composition of pheasant-chicken hybrid's flesh is. There may be a reason the snake sought them out, I mean generally you'd expect them to show up where the most poultry are, not the least which have only been there a short while and are only a small 'flock'. Of course, it may just be happenstance. But it might not be.

I had a turkey pen close by the chicken pen, and pythons would always go right through the chook pen to get to the turkeys. The forest they came from was behind the chook cage but they'd cross the back yard, go through the chook cage, leaving all chickens untouched, and continue on into the paddock a few metres until they got into the turkey cage, and there I'd find them. They never got a turkey, despite biting several, because most of them were too big for most of the pythons to eat. Dogs sought out the turkeys, rats and cats too. Chickens got ignored. At some peak periods of the year I would be hauling a minimum of one python per night out of the cages, almost always the turkey's cage, sometimes I'd be removing two. Three was the peak single-night catch of wannabe turkey eating pythons, lol. This I believe is due to the composition of turkey flesh; everything wants to eat turkey.

Turkey flesh is the highest known natural source of tryptophan, which is a sedative and painkiller, among many other valuable properties. I use it on convalescent carnivorous animals, often it's all they want to eat. The Asian breeders of the original black fleshed and boned Silkies believed they were medicinal, and I'm not sure they weren't. I got into raising chooks because they helped family members with debilitating diseases recoup so noticeably. Cattle flesh is high in Coenzyme Q10, aka ubidecarenone, which is a nutrient which occurs naturally in every cell in the body and is involved in production of cellular energy. It is particularly concentrated in, and important to, the heart.

To some degree it is true that what we eat is our main medicine. I believe predator animals seek out certain prey animals to consume according to their needs, I've seen much personal evidence of this. We treated a crippled german sheperd through turkey drumsticks alone, he went form being unable to do more than shuffle to being able to gallop around in a few weeks, it has such a powerful impact on joints and various debilitating issues. His owner then stopped buying turkey drumsticks out of disagreement over the scientific merits of the food as being able to heal or hinder health, and he went right back to being a cripple.

I am now even more keen to see the continued results of your experiment. They may have more value than just novel.

Back
Top Bottom