pheasant pens!

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Okay. Like I have said in some previous posts, I am rebuilding ALL my bird pens this spring. They are going to be attractive looking, and they will hold up to the weather better. My family and I have already decided on what we are building for the chicken coop (and may I mention it is going to be huge), and we've basically figured out the type of pens that we're going to put the mandarin and call ducks in... we've figured out what the ducks, geese, and turkeys (they all free-roam) are going in at night, since we cant put them in the one stall in the horse barn anymore because, the barn is for our horses and our goats. We need to figure out what our 2 pheasants are going in. So all you pheasant owners, please post pictures of your pens and the instructions on building them, because we need something sturdy to put them in.
Thanks very much.
smile.png

We took our pen down so i do not have a picture. But what we used was chain link dog kennels 6 feet high. We put chicken wire on top to keep them in. We had it attached to a 8x 8 shed for them to into if the wanted to. We also put 2x4s up off the ground twards the top for them to perch they really liked that and would sleep up there at night. Hope this helps.

My husband built one and he got the design from his chinese forster parent when he was a kid. They built these in China I guess fro pheasants. We went and bought a large parachute from an army surplus store. He built 4 ft high x 8 ft longs panels and built a octagon shaped pen. He dug a hole in the middle of the circle and put a large 4x4 post in it to hold the middle of the parachute up, them staped the parachute to the top and sides of the 4x8 walls. Some panels are solid and some have chicken wire. We did dig a little ditch to put the panels in, but not deep.There is a small door on the front. We have 5 pheasant and two chukars in there right now. We have decorated the inside with branches and hiding places for them. The only downside is the parachute is not waterproof, I guess you can do that to them, and when it snows you have to go inside and punch the snow off of it.

2007_0227pheasentpen.jpg

oh and make sur you have gravel or sand inside, it would be easier to clean. We left ours and it turned to mud so I have been putting shaving in, I think I will add sand, they also like to dust bath, so it should work ok.

Back
Top Bottom