Pictures of your home-made coops and runs!

Pics
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker. I learned so much from this forum and it has help us tremendously.

Here are some pictures of our coop. We were kinda winging it.

mikeharold - Like your use of materials and the hole vent detail at the top. Don't know what a rabbit cut is, but like how the fence/siding works.I'm not a carpenter, but a graphic designer - like to build things as a hobby. We live in town with lots of older homes and I wanted the coop to fit the neighborhood. I'l be painting it to match the house when done. Thanks for your comments and sharing your coop pics!

A rabbit is a section of removed material. It is basically 1 1/4" tall and half the thickness of the fence board, in this case about 5/16" deep. When you put the siding on what happens is the top board overlaps the lower one by 1 1/4" and has a reveal thickness of 5/16" looking just like lap siding. Was going to go vertical boards and battens, but decided to take the extra step and do it this way. Now if $ and time were not a problem I could have a lot of fun!

Just got the run done yesterday and set the ladies and dude loose for the first time. They had a lot of fun! My wiener dog isn't too sure though as they took her favorite section of the yard so she's a bit confused and very curious about them in her space right now. She will be my biggest predator for a while, but I think she will do just fine. Will try and get some pics later of the whole set up. Thanks for the compliments.

So here are a couple of quick shots of the run closed in. I used 2x4 welded wire with 1" chicken wire along the bottom to keep them from sicking their heads through and having my dog bite it off. I also created a skirt with the chicken wire incase someone decides to try and dig their way in. Then used some rocks we have in the side yard to line the bottom of the skirt to further deter digging. Time will tell.

Maybe I should have built them a porch instead of a ramp! They love to hang out right there, maybe they feel safe being close to the coop. It is only their second day out after all. Still need to make the pop door. For now I just screw on a piece of plywood over the opening at night and unscrew it in the morning. Will do that this weekend.

And this is a pic of the rabbit cut I was talking about.

And how they create a lap.

Last edited:
the coops livery mint frappe and key lime

I just love all of ur coops helps me decided what to do with my big coop. I will have 500 meat chickens. So I am changing my barn into a huge coop. So far we figured out the spot for the babies. Also built some wire panels and doors here are some pics so far and ideas type away

Back
Top Bottom