Pigeon Talk

Sad to report that I lost little Chance today. :(
He seemed good this morning, I tube fed him, and left him inside while I was gone to work. Came home and he seemed to be feeling pretty good, moving around, squeaking, so I took him outside for a while. Mom and dad were both feeding him, and even seemed to be standing guard at the door while I was outside. About an hour later, I went out to check, and he was laying down, seemed to be gasping, so I brought him inside. His wounds from yesterday were not bothered anymore, so it wasn’t additional pecking, but I guess they were just too much from yesterday. I warmed him up, and he just quietly stopped moving and breathing. :(
I am so sorry. I know How you feel. I have lost 3 that way :( I know have learned the hard way, and so keep them together in their own pen.

He seemed good this morning, I tube fed him, and left him inside while I was gone to work. Came home and he seemed to be feeling pretty good, moving around, squeaking, so I took him outside for a while. Mom and dad were both feeding him, and even seemed to be standing guard at the door while I was outside. About an hour later, I went out to check, and he was laying down, seemed to be gasping, so I brought him inside. His wounds from yesterday were not bothered anymore, so it wasn’t additional pecking, but I guess they were just too much from yesterday. I warmed him up, and he just quietly stopped moving and breathing. :(
Oh no. :( I'm sorry. :hugs I really thought the little fella would be OK. I think a separate area for the youngsters is needed. Are all the others OK?

Oh no. :( I'm sorry. :hugs I really thought the little fella would be OK. I think a separate area for the youngsters is needed. Are all the others OK?

I thought he would be ok too. I’ve had chicken chicks hurt like that and they survived.
Brick and Brewer are the only youngsters I have now, 4.5 weeks old. Duff is on eggs about day 10. I have a feeling it won’t be long before Trip lays again.

@biophiliac @CCUK I got a question, for the bob wire trap, is it better fir the birds jump through it, or is it better for them to walk straight thru? Like, should there be a drop off so that when they go through, they land 12 inches down or so?
From what I can tell - It doesn't matter.:) I have a ledge about 4" down. The downside is frequently some show-off cock bird will hang there and guard the 'door'. This might not happen if you place it 12" down as you mention but I cannot due to door placement. OTOH, If I remember correctly, Maney lofts does not have any ledge and it works fine. We think we are helping out by giving them a step..'but hey, they can fly! lol

@biophiliac @CCUK I got a question, for the bob wire trap, is it better fir the birds jump through it, or is it better for them to walk straight thru? Like, should there be a drop off so that when they go through, they land 12 inches down or so?
If I was redoing mine I'd make one with a drop. The reason being that it stops any of the other birds hanging around there. I have had two birds wiggle and knock the bobs and make good their escape! And my top cock has taken over the entire top ledge and hassles the other birds when they try to come back in.

If I was redoing mine I'd make one with a drop. The reason being that it stops any of the other birds hanging around there. I have had two birds wiggle and knock the bobs and make good their escape! And my top cock has taken over the entire top ledge and hassles the other birds when they try to come back in.
X2 I'll probably remove the ledge.

I am so sorry. :hit

Back
Top Bottom