Pilgrim Geese thread

I got an egg yesterday. Anyone else have Pilgrims or other geese starting to lay? My girl Nimbo has been fairly early before as I recall. Shes a bit of an odd ball though with laying as she also lays a bunch in late fall to early winter so I am never sure as to how she compares to other Pilgrims.

Pip, my gander, is starting to get hissy & nippy. That means Peep will start laying soon. She laid in late Feb or early March last spring. She also laid again in Sept.

Mine are laying ... big time. The first egg came from my older girl Greta (American buff) on February 9. I caught one of my Pilrgims, Lily laying the next day. I have four older geese and am assuming they are the only ones laying right now. I have collected 8 eggs since. Of course they all want to use the same nest, so we'll be separating them this weekend.

Does anybody know of a source for pilgrim geese in New England? I am in desperate need of two female pilgrims to pair with the two males I have now. I have looked online and I can only find straight run or pairs and I don't need any more males. I am willing to take goslings or adults as long as they are younger. My males are only a year old and I would like to have them about the same age so they have many years together.

Does anybody know of a source for pilgrim geese in New England? I am in desperate need of two female pilgrims to pair with the two males I have now. I have looked online and I can only find straight run or pairs and I don't need any more males. I am willing to take goslings or adults as long as they are younger. My males are only a year old and I would like to have them about the same age so they have many years together.
your only option might be to order 2 pairs from Metzer then sell or give away the 2 males. looks like it will cost about $130 (inclusing shipping and small order charge) for the 2 pair, so a little pricey but if you can sell the 2 male goslings for $15-20 each you'll net to $90-100 for 2 sexed female goslings.

also if you do the 2 pilgrim pairs plus 6 mixed straight run ducklings it also comes out to $130 because it is a big enough order to not need the small order charge. then you can sell the male goslings and ducklings to reduce the cost a little more.

Check out Ideal Poultry (a BYC sponsor). I'm pretty sure you can order sexed geese.

I checked and they don't sell Pilgrims. Some of the other mail order hatcheries will sell females only, but only certain breeds, none of which are Pilgrim.

your only option might be to order 2 pairs from Metzer then sell or give away the 2 males. looks like it will cost about $130 (inclusing shipping and small order charge) for the 2 pair, so a little pricey but if you can sell the 2 male goslings for $15-20 each you'll net to $90-100 for 2 sexed female goslings.

also if you do the 2 pilgrim pairs plus 6 mixed straight run ducklings it also comes out to $130 because it is a big enough order to not need the small order charge. then you can sell the male goslings and ducklings to reduce the cost a little more.

My biggest concern with ordering pairs is that I won't be able to rehome the males. I also wouldn't want to raise them together because I want the females to pair with my existing males (we've gotten rather attached) and wouldn't want them to bond with the male goslings.

Update - We were able to locate someone with a similar problem - 3 females and lost their male, so we are going to make a trade in the next week or so. Marcus will have a new home with plenty of room to roam and George with finally have someone to love!

Back
Top Bottom