Pilgrim Geese thread

I am too excited not to share. We were able to trade one of our two males for a female in April. Once we got them set up with a nesting area outside and let her begin keeping her eggs, she ended up with 5. One disappeared (possibly broken in the nest, but I didn't see any shell) so she had 4 when she began sitting. This weekend we were met with more success that we ever expected for the first year when all 4 hatched!

Any thoughts on the sex? We are thinking female for most if not all because of the dark bills, but I may not be the best judge since we thought the replacement we ordered last year was female and he ended up male.

HI!

Brand new Pilgrim goose momma here. My question is how to keep my 1 week old pair happy and healthy until they are big enough to stay outside? Right now they are in a Rubbermaid tub like when I had baby chicks but I am thinking this is not ideal. They do have a pen for day trips but here in Eatonville, WA (Foothills of Mt. Rainier) We are either 85 and hot or 65 and chilly.....and that can be in the same day! I have them under heat but they can move out of it if need bee but they seem to like it. I also have them on unmedicated chick feed, that's what the feed store gave me and I am picking grass and giving it to them all day long when they are not out side. I am using alfalfa as bedding and they like to eat the fluff. Any suggestion to help would be greatly appreciated. They are SO different then chicks! Thank you. :)

If they are eating anything but feed, make sure you are providing grit as well. Otherwise, you don't need to do anything other than what you would do for chicks right now. Provide food, water, clean dry bedding, a heat source and enough room to get out from under it. When they get a little bigger, you can run a warm bath for them and let them go for a swim occasionally. They don't take to water as much as ducks do, but they do like it.

If anyone in New England is looking, we hatched 4 females this spring that we will be looking to sell before winter sets in. They were hatched naturally and raised outside with Mommy & Daddy. They hatched on June 11th.

Hi all, I just ordered my first pair of pilgrim geese after much research on breed. They won't be shipped till April but I'm really excited. Any tips for a first time pilgrim owner? We want them to be as friendly as possible..
1f60a.png

Hello there,
I have a few questions about breeding Pilgrim geese.

Our Pilgrim goose and gander are now 11 months old and the goose has just started to lay. We haven't seen the gander breeding her, but maybe he is doing it on the sly.

It's still below freezing at night and our goose has not gone broody yet. Should we collect the eggs and put them back when she starts to sit? If so, what temperature should we store them at and how long will they stay viable?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!

Hello there,
I have a few questions about breeding Pilgrim geese.

Our Pilgrim goose and gander are now 11 months old and the goose has just started to lay. We haven't seen the gander breeding her, but maybe he is doing it on the sly.

It's still below freezing at night and our goose has not gone broody yet. Should we collect the eggs and put them back when she starts to sit? If so, what temperature should we store them at and how long will they stay viable?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!
We collected the eggs from our goose for the same reason. I put them in the refrigerator in the garage because I read somewhere that they needed to stay above freezing and below 70 degrees and that was the most stable environment we have. We haven't given them back just yet, so I am not sure how well they will hatch. Fingers crossed we have success.

Back
Top Bottom