Pilgrim Geese thread

I'm in SE Iowa and have 4 so far, a group of 1 gander and 3 geese. Love them! They are such funny little birds! Glad to have found this thread!

I'm in SE Iowa and have 4 so far, a group of 1 gander and 3 geese. Love them! They are such funny little birds! Glad to have found this thread!

Very pretty! How old are they? They look about like mine are now at almost 7 weeks of age, maybe a bit fuzzier still with baby down.

Tivona, they were hatched early/mid April. I found someone within driving distance who had hatchlings for sale, the afore mentioned Brown Fox Farm. I'd been looking since last fall but the big hatcheries sold out before I knew it! Kind of glad since I love these guys!

I am so in love with my pilgrims too! I have been raising them since 2007 and will always have pilgrims. They are so sweet. They also seem to get along will with everything i have out here. Great parents, easy to sex and great lawn mowers lol. I am not very good at using this forum right now so please be patient with me as i learn how to use it. I have been a member for a long time but am just now really using it. For some reason i have not been able to upload pictures. probably has something to do with my old computer. If you are looking for goslings and are near central Illinois message me sometime.I might be able to help you out.I have a nice flock and work hard to make sure i have a diverse gene pool.I am always willing to talk trades too.Than you for starting this thread! i love to talk about Pilgrims and see pics too.

Last edited:
I am so in love with my pilgrims too! I have been raising them since 2007 and will always have pilgrims. They are so sweet. They also seem to get along will with everything i have out here. Great parents, easy to sex and great lawn mowers lol. I am not very good at using this forum right now so please be patient with me as i learn how to use it. I have been a member for a long time but am just now really using it. For some reason i have not been able to upload pictures. probably has something to do with my old computer. If you are looking for goslings and are near central Illinois message me sometime.I might be able to help you out.I have a nice flock and work hard to make sure i have a diverse gene pool.I am always willing to talk trades too.Than you for starting this thread! i love to talk about Pilgrims and see pics too.
Hi Wolfie.
frow.gif
I really love my Pilgrim-type geese. They´re just so sweet and calm. The cross-bred in the avatar is a daughter of a 'pilgrim', and I´m going to put two of my 'pil' ganders with two normandy-type geese I came across, and I´ll see what the outcome of that is, being both auto-sexing. But my original 'pilgrims' are still producing more beautiful youngsters for me. They´re just going into their next breeding season, doing the dipping dance in the pond.
big_smile.png

Hi Wofie! I love mine for all the same reasons. Their personalities are just great! Currently my batch 9 are mowing my grass pretty well. I just keep switching where they are allowed to graze so they don't over eat a patch. My grass is growing fairly fast and they don't seem to need much in the way of feed when the grass grows, plus I know its so much better for them. I would love to hear more about your Pilgrims. What all do you have? You said they get along with everything you have. For mine, there are horses and cows and a few neighbor hood dogs that they can see through the fence at times but really all mine have to get along with is people and ducks and a few cats.

Hi Wolfie.
frow.gif
I really love my Pilgrim-type geese. They´re just so sweet and calm. The cross-bred in the avatar is a daughter of a 'pilgrim', and I´m going to put two of my 'pil' ganders with two normandy-type geese I came across, and I´ll see what the outcome of that is, being both auto-sexing. But my original 'pilgrims' are still producing more beautiful youngsters for me. They´re just going into their next breeding season, doing the dipping dance in the pond.
big_smile.png
What did you cross with the Pilgrim to get the one in your avatar? I can really see the Pilgrim in her. The coloring reminds me of some of the pictures of Holddereads Oregon Mini Geese. He has Pilgrim type, belted, and Saddle-backed as well as 6 non auto-sexing colors in the mini's. Yours looks a lot like the belted ones that are auto-sexing which is why I am asking. I am guessing that the belted are just pilgrim color type with a gene for a white breast because of the colorings/patterns being so similar. I have a vague memory that there was some sort of wild breed that had the belting that managed to get bred in but can't find any info on it any more. It would be interesting to see if you can hold that belting as well as the auto-sexing for future generations.

Quote: Tivona, what area on Craig's List? I need to find someone who might still have eggs that are willing to ship them. I have checked everywhere I can think of here and have found 2 breeders in the whole southeast. And one of them scares me because of negative comments posted about them when I google them.

@ Tivona and Livin',

Well, my experience with pilgrim hatchlings is limited; I've only hatched them once before, and ended up with only ganders. I was able to find someone in VT willing to sell me a couple of 6 week old geese but they were older. Sooo, to my eye, it looks like I have four ganders and one goose.....? There's really only one that's notably darker in bill and down color. When they're indoors I keep thinking that there may be more than one goose, but I think it's just wishful thinking. I'd love to be wrong though; what do you guys think?

@ NorthFLChick, I ordered eggs from the address below. Love, love, love to hatch. : )
http://brownfoxfarm.weebly.com/for-sale.html
I got hatching eggs from Brown Fox Farms, too. She is great to deal with. Unfortunately, we had an incubator issue and lost all 6 of our Pilgrim eggs. I was determined that I would eliminate as much incubator risk as I could so I ordered a GQF Sportsman 1502. Now to get lucky enough to find someone who still has girls laying this late in the season.

Back
Top Bottom