Pipd's Peeps!

I'm thinking.....
I'm thinking.....
I'm thinking that there MUST be a support group for recovering chicken addicts.....

[But who said anyone was actually recovering?]

:rolleyes:

:gig The problem is, first you have to WANT to get better... And who wants to get better from this? :D

Just a quick check in this morning. So... Tessa decided to molt... Is this what you call a 'hot mess'? :oops:

Tessa molt 10-26-18.jpg

Meanwhile, Vira is taking her attitude to new levels. She thought she'd take on the BIG roosters through the fence! :eek: Here she is, realizing I was behind her and turning around to sass me instead! :lol:

Vira tough girl 10-26-18.jpg

Yeah, poor girl! She seems to be doing all right despite the weather, but I'm braced for the possibility of intervening. She's definitely not got enough cover to handle much colder temps than what we're having (we're in the 50's right now with overnights in the 40's).

Here's what she looks like at this point. It's rough.
shock look away.gif

molt 1.jpg

"Do you mind?" :oops:

molt 2.jpg

Notice Rowena right behind her. "What the heck happened to you?!" :lol:

Molt.jpg

She's basically naked under her wings. She's lost the rest of these feathers since I took these pictures a couple nights ago:

Underwing right.jpg
Underwing left.jpg

(I looked at that sore looking spot afterwards and didn't see any wound or anything. :confused: )

Outside:

outside.jpg

And the worst part of all--her poor bum! :eek::duc

backside.jpg

All I can say is... yikes!

My Brahma molted in the dead of winter last year up through February. She lost a lot and was in a prefab coop set up. She fared well. It does look like Tessa has a lot more feather loss though. Poor thing. I think there is a molting contest thread. Tessa might have a chance to win that. :p

My Brahma molted in the dead of winter last year up through February. She lost a lot and was in a prefab coop set up. She fared well. It does look like Tessa has a lot more feather loss though. Poor thing. I think there is a molting contest thread. Tessa might have a chance to win that. :p

Yeah, I'm thinking about posting her over there. She may just be able to win it, poor thing!

You can say that again. :eek:

Well, the girls have been upset off and on all afternoon--not so much panic, just concerned clucking--and I think I finally figured out what was the cause of it. Perdita must have been dust bathing near the old, clunky, scrap wood nest shelf from years ago and somehow managed to roll underneath it and get stuck on her back. Poor thing is woozy, but eating and drinking now. I have no idea how long she was there. Guess I'll have to find somewhere to move that old structure so it can't happen again. :hmm

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
I don't think I ever answered you about the biter.

I contacted the breeder (who breeds to show) because I wanted to offer him back to her if she thought he had promise. Out of all the boys, he was FANTASTIC in all ways. Comb, body type, etc.

She did decide to take him so he was saved from the stew pot.

She also was drooling over his amazing comb....

If he hadn't been a biter, he is the one I would have kept for myself.

The other 2 boys are really "chill". They aren't even crowing when outside and they're 20+ weeks old! No mating yet either. And no people aggression.

We'll see what happens when they start mating. I did see one of them do a tiny dance today.

Oh, I think you did mention something about the breeder taking him back, now that you mention it! :oops: Well, I'm glad it worked out in the end. Here's hoping those two fellas are well behaved for your flock! In the mean time, any pictures of them? :D And how about those laced Orps you got?

Oh, and speaking of roosters, @Soon2BChixMom how is Boomer working out? :)

Oh, I think you did mention something about the breeder taking him back, now that you mention it! :oops: Well, I'm glad it worked out in the end. Here's hoping those two fellas are well behaved for your flock! In the mean time, any pictures of them? :D And how about those laced Orps you got?

Oh, and speaking of roosters, @Soon2BChixMom how is Boomer working out? :)
He's doing fine. It has been raining for two days. I went out to do the evening chores and they still had plenty of daylight left. It was a little bit darker looking though. He had all the hens in the coop tucked in and roosting.
He probably still needs to mature though as his breeding manners are a little lacking. He doesn't ask or do a dance for them. :p

Back
Top Bottom