Pittsburgh, PA (AKA Steeler Country, West PA, East OH, North WV)!

Funny small world, I grew up in gibsonia. My dghtr in law grad from karns city. What birds do u have?

A variety, numerous black australorp type barnyard mixes, a handful of mix banties (who lay green eggs) a 6 pack of Black Giants (a hatchery Jersey Giants), 5 Silver Pencil Rock hens, 2 Buckeye pullets and a perpetually broody silkie named Gracie! We also have 2 barnyard mix roosters and 4 buckeye cockerels who aren't sticking around past the weekend.

I have too many not an exact count of different wyandottes. Blue black and splash 15 + .Blue laced red wyandottes 15 +. Silver laced 10ish. A pair of partridge wyandottes Heritage RIRs and a mix of layers.

I wasn't sure where to start so I figured I'd start off with some followers..

THEY WANT TO TAKE MY CHICKENS!

I was born and raised in Edgewood. For those of you that don't know, I'm very close to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, in some cases I'm considered living in Pittsburgh.

April 17th, I received my happy box of chicks in the mail. I love my four girls more then anything. I did loads of research and found that I was allowed to keep them.. or so I thought. I either missed something in my research or something has changed in the past few months. A man came to my house and told me that I can no longer keep my chickens. What should I do? Can we start a petition of some kind to change this? If anyone has any information on this please please please let me know! I'm trying to find out as much as I can to keep my babies.

Thank you

I was born and raised in Edgewood. For those of you that don't know, I'm very close to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, in some cases I'm considered living in Pittsburgh.

April 17th, I received my happy box of chicks in the mail. I love my four girls more then anything. I did loads of research and found that I was allowed to keep them.. or so I thought. I either missed something in my research or something has changed in the past few months. A man came to my house and told me that I can no longer keep my chickens. What should I do? Can we start a petition of some kind to change this? If anyone has any information on this please please please let me know! I'm trying to find out as much as I can to keep my babies.

Thank you
I know there is a section on here regarding how to find local zoning laws... you may find it using the search block above.... sorry you are going through this. I don't know anything about the zoning laws in your area, though you may contact someone in the state agricultural office for direction if you don't find info anywhere else.

I hope you can get it worked out so you can keep your chicks.

Thank you
where exactly do you live. must know to help. are you in a borough
or in the township? pm me if you don't want to say online.
Karen in Ligonier

http://pittsburghpa.gov/search/Go to this page and type in "poultry" in the search window.
A bunch of articles on urban poultry will come up.
Best,
Karen

look here.:
http://www.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/fil...ty_of_Pittsburgh_Urban_Agriculture_Zoning.pdf
Page 5 of 7, I think this is the one you want in Pittsburgh.
Looks like you might need a Special Exemption.:
912.07.B Urban Agriculture (Accessory Use) With Animals

~Urban Agriculture (Accessory Use) With Animals allows for the housing of chickens and/or honeybees where there is a separate primary use. The lot-size and barrier requirements for beehives are the same as those for the Agricultural Use (Limited) With Beekeeping listed above. This use also permits the housing of three chickens where there is a minimum lot size of 2,000 square feet, and permits an additional chicken for each additional 1,000 square feet.
http://www.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/files/urbanagriculture/Urban_Agriculture_Handout.pdf
The URL above is simple, explanatory and has contact info on it. I "think" roosters are not allowed, but ask anyway.

So, following the city formula, on a standard 50x100 city lot= 5,000 sq. ft., you could have 6 chickens.

But you said you were only "sometimes" considered in Pittsburgh.
Are you 1/2 in the City and 1/2 out on your property line?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom