Pittsburgh, PA (AKA Steeler Country, West PA, East OH, North WV)!

Definitely! A bit hard to build a new coop from the ground up when it's covered with about 6 inches of snow
roll.png

My BF says he can process them. I'm just below Wheeling on the Ohio side of the River. He's gonna hafta process mine in a few weeks.
Let me know how it goes. I'm waiting for spring to get set up but my interest in broilers hinges partly on finding a processor. My contact with the WV Dept. of Ag indicates there are no small processors in WV. The director there called the poultry professor at WVU and he also reported no processors within a reasonable distance of me...... if I'm going to try it my self, I'll likely start very small just to see if I'm really interested.

Let me know how it goes. I'm waiting for spring to get set up but my interest in broilers hinges partly on finding a processor. My contact with the WV Dept. of Ag indicates there are no small processors in WV. The director there called the poultry professor at WVU and he also reported no processors within a reasonable distance of me...... if I'm going to try it my self, I'll likely start very small just to see if I'm really interested.
I'd check the phone book for any butcher shops in your area also and contact them to see if they either do chickens or know of anyone else local who does them. Some butcher shops will do local farm animals...

Hello fellow Pittsburghers, I lived in Beechview for twenty years and my wife wanted a new place so we moved out to Robinson Township.
I am the proud flockmaster of 26 chicks only about 17 days old or so. Me and my dog Rocco love them baby chicks. Looking forward to sharing with all of you. Thanks, Ray.

Hello fellow Pittsburghers, I lived in Beechview for twenty years and my wife wanted a new place so we moved out to Robinson Township.
I am the proud flockmaster of 26 chicks only about 17 days old or so. Me and my dog Rocco love them baby chicks. Looking forward to sharing with all of you. Thanks, Ray.
WELCOME RAY! Love the babies! I see some barred rocks in there & a couple RIR or Red Stars. Tell us what else you have hopping around that brooder
jumpy.gif

Adorable! More pics please!!! Love pics of the little ones, and little ones with their dogs! They grow so fast it will be no time and you'll have yourself a beautiful flock!

WELCOME RAY! Love the babies! I see some barred rocks in there & a couple RIR or Red Stars. Tell us what else you have hopping around that brooder
jumpy.gif
8 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 7 Rhode Island Reds, 7 Barred Rocks and four cockerel either White Leghorn or White Barred Rock used as heaters for the delivery from Mcmurray Hatchery. I gave six away and four died. I can't figure out the boys in the others but I have my suspicions on a few tough guys! Today is two weeks from arrival on March 4th. Google Crazy rays brown eggs for my two videos on youtube.

8 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 7 Rhode Island Reds, 7 Barred Rocks and four cockerel either White Leghorn or White Barred Rock used as heaters for the delivery from Mcmurray Hatchery. I gave six away and four died. I can't figure out the boys in the others but I have my suspicions on a few tough guys! Today is two weeks from arrival on March 4th. Google Crazy rays brown eggs for my two videos on youtube.
Head spots should tell you on the barred rocks. None or very small on the pullets & large on the roos. The wyandotte boys will get red combs very quickly, within the next week most likely. The RIR pullets will feather much faster than the roos. You most likely got leghorn boys since they are cheaper & often get used as peanuts.

Here are a few pictures of the chicks at two weeks old now.

Rocco with GL Wyandotte

Rhode Island red

Barred Rock

LegHorn?

GLW Male?

Rosie with a harness. I fixed her curled toes after wearing a boot for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom