Please advise: what do I need picking up chicks from feed store

Karel

Chirping
Nov 19, 2022
Hello all,
The local feed store will sell baby chicken this weekend. I'm considering getting some. I have a brooder setup ready and would heat it up Thursday for the Saturday pickup.
What do I need to transport the baby chicks home? 30 min drive. It's currently 16F outside. What sort of box do I need? Do they need a heat pack? Any advice on how to help their stress levels low and help them adjust is greatly appreciated!
Thank you,

Hello. They need no heat pack and the store will put them all in a box together for you. Just have the heat on in your car, they will be fine. 30 minutes isin't a long drive for them at all. When you get them home, let them relax in the brooder for a little bit then make sure they know where the food and water is. Dip their beaks into it if you have to. Make sure one end of the brooder is warm and the other end is cooler, so they can go cool off if they need to. Have fun with them!

I would not use a plastic tub, if that is the "brooder" you are thinking about. I don't use wood chips either. When my birds are young, I line the brooder with used 2nd hand cloth place mats, then I can put feed on the cloth and the chicks can see it. I put a plate under the water-er so it doesn't splash on the chick floor.

A hand warmer for gloves to bring them home.

Just some advice, put some rocks (not to small or large) in a waterer or a chick friendly one so they can’t drown. You will need to, like tripletfeb said, dip their beaks in the water very lightly, holding them still and taking your thumb or a finger and gently making the tip of their beaks touch the water.

Thanks for the fast replies. The risk of going to the feed store is I'm going to come home with an army of chicken!!

Yes the car heats up fine. My partner will build the brooder this week. He is super handy. I've been reading up here on the design and hot-cool areas. I wanted to put the red hanging lamp rather than a heat plate. I like the placemat suggestion!

I have fertilized eggs too and got an incubator. I got a cheap incubator second hand ,it's like a plastic box with a fan in the lid. I put extra insulation (styrofoam box), a heat sink, and a extra digital thermometer and humidity meter, as well as a glass thermometer. I want to check how stable temp and humidity are.

I'd love to breed my lovelies hens babies out. The roo also has an excellent deposition.

The reason is i need to expand my flock asap. I have only one girl left with two roos. So I need to get them-quite literally - off her back. So they are obligated bachelors now. It's quite a drama. She misses the love of her life...

Thanks for the fast replies. The risk of going to the feed store is I'm going to come home with an army of chicken!!

Yes the car heats up fine. My partner will build the brooder this week. He is super handy. I've been reading up here on the design and hot-cool areas. I wanted to put the red hanging lamp rather than a heat plate. I like the placemat suggestion!

I have fertilized eggs too and got an incubator. I got a cheap incubator second hand ,it's like a plastic box with a fan in the lid. I put extra insulation (styrofoam box), a heat sink, and a extra digital thermometer and humidity meter, as well as a glass thermometer. I want to check how stable temp and humidity are.

I'd love to breed my lovelies hens babies out. The roo also has an excellent deposition.

The reason is i need to expand my flock asap. I have only one girl left with two roos. So I need to get them-quite literally - off her back. So they are obligated bachelors now. It's quite a drama. She misses the love of her life...
If i were you i would get some adult chickens asap instead of chicks, but thats just me.

Wish you the best of luck!

Just some advice, put some rocks (not to small or large) in a waterer or a chick friendly one so they can’t drown. You will need to, like tripletfeb said, dip their beaks in the water very lightly, holding them still and taking your thumb or a finger and gently making the tip of their beaks touch the water.
If you put rocks in the water, or colored glass marbles, you may not need to dip their beaks. They go peck at the shiny marbles (or rocks), and dip their own beaks, and learn where the water is. And after one chick finds the water, the others will follow their example and figure it out too.

Back
Top Bottom