I have heard many different opinions on whether to use or not use Baytril 2.5% or Baytril 10% to help cure a recurring and swollen bumblefoot.

Question 1: Is Baytril SAFE for hens and, after a 2 week egg dumping/withdrawal period, can I eat the eggs from my treated hens?

Question 2: If I decide to get the Baytril...I am considering buying it from allbirdproducts.com, but wasn't sure if I should get the 2.5% or 10% Baytril?

Question 3: What is the dosage for Baytril, since I will be giving it, not in their water, but directly into their mouth with a syringe daily?

I have read that Baytril has been banned, due to the forever lasting traces of Baytril in a chicken's eggs, which can cause problems for people when they eat the said eggs....But I have also read that vets have prescribed it for ailing chickens, and it has worked really well.... I am at a loss at what to think!

There are no good, reliable poultry vets near me, so I have to treat my hens myself. Any advice would be appreciated!

Baytril has been banned for chickens for many years (since 2005,) due to emerging antibiotic resistant bacteria in people who eat undercooked chicken. I would not use it unless more common antibiotics, such as amoxicillin, would treat the same problem. Baytril should be saved for something other drugs won’t touch. Some vets will still prescribe Baytril quietly, but even they are not supposed to. Baytril 10% dosage is 0.05 ml per pound (or 0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken) given orally twice a day for 5 days. Usually with bumblefoot, surgery to remove the kernel and applying antibioic ountment is all that is needed. Amoxicillin or clavamox should treat that, if an antibiotic is needed. I am sure that you will get many opinions on this subject. Some will not use antibiotics period on chickens. Others may overuse them, and not necessarily know what bacteria they are treating. Some mistakenly use antibiotics to treat viruses. There is no official egg withdrawal time on Baytril, but it would be prudent to wait a couple of weeks at least.

Back
Top Bottom