Please help sex my peafowl!

2 males and 1 female. In the second picture, the peachick with the straight upward crest with the barring on the wings fading, that's the female, and she's a Spalding.

I looked at pictures such much yesterday I was getting confused but after I took these pictures this morning I thought I could see the fading as well.
Thank you so much. I was convinced two weeks ago she was a boy because she was bigger than the other two but dang if I wasn't wrong. Lol.
Again, thanks

I looked at pictures such much yesterday I was getting confused but after I took these pictures this morning I thought I could see the fading as well.
Thank you so much. I was convinced two weeks ago she was a boy because she was bigger than the other two but dang if I wasn't wrong. Lol.
Again, thanks

Welcome to Spalding peafowl. Spalding peafowl can be more difficult. Some Spalding hens will keep faded barring instead of losing the barring completely. Which can lead you to thinking they're males. Especially when you're not expecting it.

Hello everyone! I have always wanted peafowl and I finally found some I could afford lol. I picked these three up for 10 bucks a piece. All she said was that they were this summers hatch. Their mom was BS and dad was IB. So it looks like they are IB and they will carry BS? I am pretty sure they are all boys but just wanted to check with the experts! Thanks

Hello everyone! I have always wanted peafowl and I finally found some I could afford lol. I picked these three up for 10 bucks a piece. All she said was that they were this summers hatch. Their mom was BS and dad was IB. So it looks like they are IB and they will carry BS? I am pretty sure they are all boys but just wanted to check with the experts! Thanks

3ea beautiful roosters, congrats!! If indeed they had a BS parent that makes them split to bs. Black shoulder is pattern, meaning both parents were of the India Blue species with mom being of the India Blue black shoulder pattern (IBBS) and dad is of the natural "wild" pattern (IB). You can put a BS or split to BS hen under them or a hen that is known to carry the bs gene and reproduce BS birds. Again, congrats on good healthy birds hope this helps,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

I thought I'd jump in here and ask for some educated advice. The advice may be "No way to tell, too young," of course. I hatched this sweet peachick late August, so we are at just six weeks, now. I read something about being able to tell by rusty colour on the flight feathers... but this peababy has white flight feathers. There was also something about barring on the shoulders, but is that at a later time? Any input is humbly welcomed.

Pic 1 - Little P loves dustbaths. you can see the flight feathers and back pretty well, here.

Pic 2 - almost 6 weeks. Crest is taller and head is speckled

Peababy in the barn. I love this bird so much <3

I thought I'd jump in here and ask for some educated advice. The advice may be "No way to tell, too young," of course. I hatched this sweet peachick late August, so we are at just six weeks, now. I read something about being able to tell by rusty colour on the flight feathers... but this peababy has white flight feathers. There was also something about barring on the shoulders, but is that at a later time? Any input is humbly welcomed. Pic 1 - Little P loves dustbaths. you can see the flight feathers and back pretty well, here. Pic 2 - almost 6 weeks. Crest is taller and head is speckled Peababy in the barn. I love this bird so much [/URL]
Looking at the crest, could be a Spalding which can make things more difficult.

Looking at the crest, could be a Spalding which can make things more difficult.
smile.png
Thank you. I should have mentioned - the breeder has no Spaldings, so we can probably rule that out. She said she thinks this may be an India Blue White Eye, which she does have. What about the crest looks Spaldingish? The crest does tilt to one side, but my hens' combs can do that sometimes, so I was hoping that's okay.

Back
Top Bottom